BarrelMakerOne - ChooChoo. Unity. 12s3p. TBDD. Haggys+BowerySurf+TB110

Wasn’t it the motors throttling because of temperature/amp pulled ? It’s sound like it.
But Dex is right, might be the BMS acting funny because you were pulling 60A for +/- 10 sec.

The BMS is not. That’s for sure, because my BMS is charge only, @pjotr47 can confirm that, because he build the battery pack.

Doesn’t seem to be a temperature issue as you can see in the screenshot… Amps… 60A is not that much, but I don’t know…

I send you a pm

Hi!!! Talking with @pjotr47 this seems to be a misunderstanding!

My battery pack is NOT set as charge only… So probably the problem there is the BMS

Mistery solved!

1 Like

So if you reach the limit of the BMS, the thing starts to break ?? Isn’t it a bit dangerous ?

Which ESC are you using ? If Unity, I would maybe switch the BMS to charge only, or go with the 80A Bestech one to avoid that situation.

1 Like

Yes, the idea was to have a charge only BMS, but there was a misunderstanding between Pjotr and me, so now I have a high discharge smartbms. Not bad at all.

Just change the setting of the BMS and set the max discharge to 90A, that is virtually not limiting the discharge on my BMS, as in my Unity the limit is set to 60A.

I’ll test this week again with the new settings.

1 Like

7 Likes

On my final test with the AT Wheels and new settings:

Unity:
Battery max 50A
Motor max 70A

BMS:
Cutoff 90A

There was no suddenly stop, so seems that Torqueboards was right and I was mistaken about the full break issue, sorry about that confusion. The problem now is that my battery sags until the board runs out of power… Or that is what I think is happening, anyway I don’t think I’m gonna ride more with this TBDD+AT.

Now I’m going to stay on the TB110, I’m completely in love with the combination, so I’m going to sell my janux hubs+Berg’s wheels,
so someone with TBDD+AWD+ bigger battery could enjoy it.

3 Likes

The Trampa Gummies are 125 mm. Would that still be fine with the 75KV DD?

1 Like

Haven’t tried. Might be okay you can test it but that’s if you can fit it in the drive wheel adapter.

1 Like

Batt max 50a looks good. Could probably lower the max on the BMS a little. At least you figured it out.

You had pretty significant voltage sag I saw there towards the end. Run that test again and check the battery temps.

30q have been tested fine to 20amps. But with all things, 20A isn’t 20A non stop for most riding. So setting a 3P battery at 60 amps may be fine, but pulling >15 non stop may really be degrading your cells from thermals.

Edit: and bench test reviews of a single cell at 20 amps exposed to cool air isn’t a representation of their thermal capabilities in practice. Not when the real world application is 24-36 of them glued together in an unventilated space.

1 Like

Another video, lots of sag. This video was made the other day, in my last AT wheels test before moving to TB110

I need a Metr Pro Module :wink:

1 Like

I just post another video so you can see

It will take the most energy to move the AT wheels. Was that uphill too?

You’re drawing close to max amperage on those cells. Try cutting the battery max to 40 and see how it does. You may not notice a difference in performance. Then again, I expect you’ll see less sag on the 110s.

Regardless, max output for continued runs will sag the battery. Especially when you’re already at like 50%

1 Like

Yes, that was uphill on ATs. On a very steep slope.

Now, on 110, there’s no noticeable sag even uphill.

1 Like

I wanna run a 12s3p on my hub motors with a dual tunable vesc, will my hub motors hold up to 12s because of the extra volts? Not sure wot kv the motors are :thinking:

If they’re rated to 12S yes. They should run cooler theoretically.
Need to check the KV or you’re wasting your time.

Thanks. Will do and try it with one of those Janux Quattro 4.25’’ hubs (https://www.janux-esk8.com/product-page/janux-quattro-4-25-hubs-for-tbdd-or-elofty).

I have those hubs here in Spain. pm if you are interested

1 Like

Thanks a lot for the offer; however, I now also have them after I looked at your nice build.

Edit: Did you already try the Trampa Gummies with the Janux hubs and TB DD?

1 Like