Bambu Lab X1 Carbon: Info & Discussion (SRO)

Cancelled my Prusa XL. Ordered an x1 carbon this morning (at like 4am, went down a YouTube rabbit hole) :hugs:

2 Likes

Did you get the AMS unit or no? I didnā€™t with mine, though I probably will end up buying one in the future. Didnā€™t think Iā€™d really need it but itā€™s just a convenience thing.

1 Like

Yeah, I got the combo kit. Not sure how much I will use the AMS, but I really wanted to play. I can definitely see myself using it for a few changes at layer heights, but not crazy multi-colored layers and stuff.

2 Likes

Yeah I am kind of kicking myself now for not getting it, but itā€™s ok. I am loving mine so far. Combo kit ships quicker too - you will get yours in a week or two Iā€™d imagine. Mine took about 6 weeks to come in without AMS.

1 Like

Thankfully it can be easily bought later. After I use the printer for a bit, I will update on how much the AMS gets used.

Yeah, I was happy to see this. I want to be able to heavily test the machine within its 14-day refund period. I am travelling a lot in March, so I am hoping this thing comes soon so I have the rest of Feb to print.

2 Likes

They shipped the printer today :star_struck:

1 Like

I got a textured PEI sheet also, but I guess that is coming separately.

2 Likes

About the only downfall of the textured pei plate Iā€™ve seen is they donā€™t recommend doing the LiDAR scan/calibration with it because of the texture. Other than that itā€™s freakin great

I have not really had an issue still using the scanning with it, but ymmv

Tbf I turned off the LiDAR calibration when using the PEI plate because of what Iā€™ve read, but I have not actually tried it with it on. I probably will this weekend.

I print with TPU on my prusa mk3s+ with mmu2s. The X1C would be complete if it could do TPU with AMS :frowning:

4 Likes

Iā€™m kinda kicking myself now for not getting the AMS. Itā€™s not difficult to swap rolls of filament but the AMS seems so easy. Only hang up I have is that I use cardboard spools mostly so Iā€™d need to either print edge rings for them or swap the filament onto reusable Bambu spools

3 Likes

Lol yeah, I am glad I got it. Somehow, I use the ams on like 80% of prints; either to add some color details to a black (cf nylon) model or for Bambuā€™s amazing breakaway support material.

1 Like

Thatā€™s a bummer to hear. Like, TPU prints via the AMS are subpar, or they fail outright?

Anyway, I ordered one today, tpu prints werenā€™t at the top of my list of things to print.

1 Like

Both are fine options. Some cardboard spools are worse than others. Iā€™ve run cardboard spools from polymaker just fine, but the ones from California filament pretty much need the rings.

The rings are easy prints and really arenā€™t a big deal.

I still havenā€™t gotten around to using this yet. Need to get some of the stuff that works with PETG

It could theoretically work if you use a less elastic TPU like cheetah, but for normal tpu, it wouldnā€™t work because of the auto tension and feeding system

2 Likes

Ryan have you printed TPU on your X1 at all? I understand it wont work with the AMS, but I assume you could take the AMS off and print TPU just fine?

Improved TPU performance is one of the main reasons Iā€™m interested in upgrading from my prusa, so anyone with TOU experience on an X1 i would love to hear from you!

I have not yet because I have another printer that has been only printing tpu for a while. Iā€™ll try it out though very soon.

completly neglected this thread.
My wallet is trembling in fear now.

seems like a solid machine

3 Likes

Iā€™ve printed TPU on my X1C and it ran fine, just like it does on my Ender. No AMS, just fed in through the normal PTFE side tube.

1 Like

how does this compare to a voron?

especially if u have issues and you want to repair yourselfā€¦

1 Like