Balance wiring criticism/bad examples/questions

Thanks for the excellent video, brother! I think you made it very clear why these kinds of mods are dangerous, especially with so many un-insulated balance wire crosses like we see in the CBXR battery.

3 Likes

I find it funny that they insulate the PTFE wires from the cells with fishpaper and kapton, but use only a little bit of kapton under the bare nickel balance tabs… not even on the bend either, just under the solder joints.

Edit: is that a fuse on the left side of the pack?

5 Likes

I was wondering about that too…automotive fuse?
Soldering those in a commercial product is a definite no-no. No fuse manufacturer would approve that mounting method IMO.

And why on earth would you use a fuse package type that offers easy user-replacement and then turn it into a non-replaceable (for the user) component? Yea…yea…cost and availability…the classic drivers for compromises to safety and reliability.

wow…I see a cranky day forming up for me!

4 Likes

the little red thing on the middle of the left side? that’s a blade fuse that u can find pretty much in any hardware store, but i don’t know what voltage rating and current they used. in automotive industry, a red colour blade fuse is usually a 10amp rated.

1 Like

Melt to a liquid and playable are very different temps. At work you rub PVC pipe in you hands to soften it and reshape it. Silicon has a much much higher temp befor this even starts to happen. Yes battery’s with in there operational temps get to temps to soften up to compromise the insulation and exspecaly on a pintch point it reduces the resistance values of the insulation as the deformed insulation is thinner.

3 Likes

I would imagine it’s on the charge wires

1 Like

its honestly hard to tell what wire goes where, the picture isn’t bright enough, and it has got tape all over it with reflections. it looks like its on the bypass discharge negative wire in the screenshot :man_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

You bet your sweet bippy it is! One of their many safety improvements. :grimacing:

They’ve made literal millions off of countless “no-nos”. A fiber laser to custom cut nickel plates, cell sorter/tester machinery, and many hundreds of pallets worth of cells doesn’t come from nowhere. It comes off the pockets of Onewheelers who are happy to support an underdog.

Keep imagining. :sunglasses:

Not really a bypass, as the packs are separate from the BMS. Discharged is managed by the BMS, which frankly, is a fragile and overly complicated piece of techno-babble.

Being a Onewheel enthusiant is such a complicated thing. I feel so much frustration with the company that makes them, the many aspects of the aftermarket, the companies that take advantage of people (not all of them, but the ones that do are so brazen), the rampant ignorance of science present (granted, eskate isn’t different there), and how it’s leveraged by the aftermarket.

So much outside of actually riding, is so frustrating and saddening.

6 Likes

Did you add bullet connectors on your charge port so you can unplug and plug in easily?

1 Like

no? not sure what you mean

1 Like

To remove the charge port if you need to unplug it from the harness or BMS , let’s say if your traveling or need to do maintenance

1 Like

no seems unnecessary, if your travelling you would just remove the lipos

1 Like

What about if I need to put the charge port into the enclosure?

Currently got the charge port wired up now, know the negative goes into C- and the positive goes to my fuse that goes to my main battery harness. And I would need to add all of that to my enclosure with the nut that comes with the charge port and cover so kinda confused on what to do here

1 Like

Terminate your charging wires in an xt30. Then you can disconnect your charge port easily. Some people also use jst connectors but xt30s are easier to use and you don’t need any specialized equipment.

4 Likes

Somebody said I can stagger the wires and just connect a bullet, plus I’ll heat shrink them so they’ll be all good. Don’t have any 30’s but I got a lot of bullets that i haven’t used so just better to use what’s already there :+1:t3:

2 Likes

don’t worry there are even more models you may not have seen yet.

3 Likes

I dunno I more of a “right tool for the job” kinda guy myself. 30’s are cheap and very useful and easy to get. Grab some and make your life easier. If you’re building packs it’s a must have imo.

2 Likes

Using lipos. I drew up a diagram if it’s confusing. Using 2, 5s lipos connected in series

1 Like

XT30 is too large for even a 10A DC Jack. The nut doesn’t fit over the XT30 so you can’t take it off. I use an XT30 with GX-16 and a 2 pin JST for DC Jack ports.

3 Likes

True but you can disconnect the battry and bms and remove them with out taking out your charge port