Balance wiring criticism/bad examples/questions

Here we go.

1 Like

oop

BEEEP BEEEEP BEEEEEEP

QUESTIONABLE WORK ALARM

these do not meet the “A+” guidelines the rest of the packs have.

These guidelines are not defined further.

I recognize your battery is inside a built in deck so no crushing is really possible but they do cross a lot without fishpaper which is a bit concerning.

1 Like

All the wires are silicone

5 Likes

it is not A+, and now that it is marked such in the thread we are over with arguing if it is or not. Update in the case of fire. :robot: :boom:

1 Like

to discuss further, the wires crossing being bad is generally because any short can cause a balance wire to heat up and melt other wires therefore shorting the whole pack. I would guess there are ways to make it not happen like fusing balance wires at the Pgroup, but is your reasoning for it being safe that any wire short should be unlikely to melt other wires and cause a full pack melt.

Are our packs generally able to burn all the balance wires without going critical? Depends on the pack and balance wire I guess.

I would be interested to see Flexible PCB balance wire stuff from @DRI

1 Like

I just wanted to help.

If it is not up to your standards, I will remove the photo.

3 Likes

no, no. I just want to discus it here and keep it there. That is the reason I wanted this thread here and that thread there

3 Likes

Well, on the packs you guys shared, they all run parallel to each other on top the cells, so I’m not sure how much of the risk you described is mitigated.

2 Likes

They are supposed to not touch each other or cross so while being crushed none are pressed and also if any heat up they do not melt to another wire. That is all the reasoning I got. and I just went to the reastore.

2 Likes

There was actually a discussion a little while back in the battery thread about how we thought that maybe the harder plastic balance wires are better than silicon

I don’t remember the reasoning, something about the silicon ones being easier to get cut through at the small diameter

3 Likes

My third hand’s alligator clips proved otherwise to me :(.

6 Likes

Yea, they go through pvc insulation really easily, but pfte will probably hold up much better

1 Like

Teflon insulation is great for high temps but I don’t think anyone is using it. (someone is!) It’s really tough to strip too.

It’s mostly types of silicone insulation being used (if not PVC).

3 Likes

Stripping that teflon-insulated silver wire that I had boatloads of in the '80s and '90s ---- it fucking sucked monkey balls. Fuck that shit. It might be great for spacecraft, but it’s terrible for home use. And I do mean terrible.

5 Likes

I use teflon wires for my series connections. It is indeed a bitch to strip.

5 Likes

You all make stripping it sound so hard I kinda want to give it a shot. I have some from @dri that is the same kind i think.

2 Likes

Yeah that stuff is teflon

3 Likes

By what standards?

I understand trying to highlight good practices is helpful for new builders but I don’t really agree with your blanket labelling of what is and isn’t a perfect battery based on your own judgement

3 Likes

Just gonna toss it in here that none of our packs are “good”, most of us cover the thermal vent on the cylindrical cells, which is a big nono for any commercial use. just my 5 cents.

7 Likes

I’ve always wondered about that.

What say you on this topic @Battery_Mooch ?

2 Likes