AVS Race N Ride - Nov 2022

photo credit: @matthewchristoph4 (ig)

8 Likes

@Mbrady getting last second support from @MoeStooge

photocred: @just_amps (ig)

5 Likes

This is why esk8ers aren’t coming. Most are comfortable under 35mph. @hoytkid hit 43mph on the straights

4 Likes

Like i have stated since our first organized race.
If you want to build the sport is has to be about the support classes (sportsman and starters). Run what ya brung, qualify and divide into groups. Speed is relative to what you are running and are comfortable with. Racing needs to be the same.

The Starters class finals can have just as good racing as any other. Key in is the support. We glorify the top class riders as it should be. Cant grow it if the Starters are intimidated and do not engage. More focus and intent, explaining how/what a starter will expect to see on race day.

Id rather watch 30+ $800 production 30mph boards racing for a plastic trophy than 4-pros running for cash/prizes. If we fill the bottom ranks, the middle and upper classes will automatically fill as people get into it and move up.

17 Likes

Couldn’t have said it better myself

6 Likes

Moe, I love your sentiment and this looks like a lot of fun. I’ll plan to be there next year.

I definitely had the impression that this event was geared toward fast boards, and most of us gear our boards for under 40mph.

35 is about top speed for me, so good to know about the multiple classes and having fun competing in them.

5 Likes

Intro 2 speed has a similar issue. Many people’s impression is that it’s too fast to intimidating for them.
it’s the dichotomy of as people progress the media comes out showing how good they’ve gotten and the “apparent” bar gets raised.

But mostly after anyone comes and does some short track sessions, and hangs out they realize how fun it is, and how much it’s about progression from any starting point.

So i will keep encouraging media producers to show off not just the pro stuff. :smiley:

The Socal Outlaw Series last year was my favorite to watch, because you could literally see the participant progression as the series went on. The starters class there was almost all production boards.

9 Likes

This is such a great outlook on the sport, really cool to hear that from the person who makes the crazy raceboards!

Same for me, it’s pretty intimidating trying to compare oneself to the people hitting 47 on the straights lol

Everyone keeps telling me to go to i2s, which I will one day, but it’s tough to make it up there lol

7 Likes

you will!

but also, you and SDESK8 are supposed to get a rythym going down south too.

:slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :skateboard:

2 Likes

Yep yep catch us in January - but I do want to at least do it justice and see how yall run it too

1 Like

Who runs the Bay Area I2S? And is it all EUC?

It’s been run 3 times by @MarioChacon bringing it up there from LA, and once, and hopefully ongoing by Antonio Vargas The one I went too my expectations of esk8 were low and it indeed had many EUC, but a lot of BAESK8 brought out their esk8s, so i was pleasantly surprised.

1 Like

and another week later still hurts… went to the doc. sez i broke it. splint for a few more weeks. :confused:

2 Likes

Oof, I’ve been there too, but one thumb bone further up. After you wear the splint for a month, stretching it out will hurt really good, so hang in there :+1:

2 Likes

Thanks Ryan Alexander (YT, IG) for releasing this today! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Were they able to finish at a later point and what’s the restart like? That first lap was a good battle. Couldn’t tell what started happening to the leader that caused them to drop quite far behind. Went a little too wide at times?

1 Like

There was a restart. The drone pilot didn’t get footage after that. ( that’s why he hadn’t released it) I think i was occupied with event stuff so I didn’t see it either. :frowning:

1 Like

man that second turn.

5 Likes

Yeah that’s where I was like ok leader knows what they’re doing. But then ends up falling behind and I was like whyyy?

3 Likes

Gotta love the speed and the board is stable at speed so it made me feel confident in the board

4 Likes