AVAILABLE NOW - Introducing the BKB Duo! The most versatile electric skateboard kit ever created šŸšØ

@linny any tips on spraying this abs enclosure with a truck bed liner coating?

3 Likes

Sand it with 150~200 grit, primer, and then truck bedliner.

6 Likes

Nice to see the updated BKB kit.

Not trying to flame, just sharing my opinion. Just my .02. Debated posting this, but the more I looked at it the more I felt this way

Sadly Iā€™m not in love with it. The enclosure and setup seem to go with that deck. And Iā€™d love to see that change. The loaded vanguard shape feels like old news now. With that deck style, slick revolution and a few others have designed similar decks with a few new lines that make them much nicer looking and more functional.
These decks are top mount only and are gonna feel silly high off the ground as the wheel diameter goes up.

IMO, if you wanted to hit the biggest market, a 36ā€ falcon style deck has the biggest parts compatibility and I think the biggest audience. 2019-2020 have definitely brought on the drop down decks with subsonic at the heart of dozens of new builds and the build of the year I think. People are also moving toward bigger wheels and 110s are getting common as the minimum. Not 85

I see cable glands sticking out of the enclosure. Which may work out and look okay. But the enclosure and battery size are a problem. Again, back to deck selection. 10S3P 30q? Ha letā€™s see how that does on ATs. I ride one every day on 107s and Iā€™d say range will be close to 8-14 depending on the wheel size and rider style. No room for increasing the battery size, Iā€™m sure itā€™s crowded AF in that enclosure.

I know itā€™s modular. But that rendering of the model on 6x2 will have you standing a full 6ā€ or more off the ground which is gonna feel and ride like crap. 40mph, on a top mount flexy deck. I hope no ones trying that anytime soon.

Donā€™t get me wrong, a 10S3P 30q vanguard with dual 6355s will be quick on the right wheels. But for a 2020 rollout, i have to admit itā€™s feeling a little tired.

Sorry for the negative approach. I know the tayto was a big success. But that filled a hole in the market and directly competed with a slim selection of shorter boards. This competes in a market thatā€™s clearly over saturated with look-a-likes to the boosted. I know Iā€™m not your typical customer anyway, and maybe itā€™s a good first board. And for the price Iā€™m sure that it does that well. just my thoughts.

16 Likes

Yes, exactly

The enclosure is vac formed ABS, 3mm, and is slightly shiny. MFG does not have matte available unfortunatley

Two kit logos on the motor, that it. I may add a logo to the top of the deck, but unlikely

ABEC 97mm 78A same as the Tayto

3 Likes

First of all, thanks for your opinion. Im always open to feedback, but your making assumptions about something you have never seen/ridden in person.

Youā€™re saying that I should make a Flacon kit to hit the largest market, but then go on to say that boosted look a likes are over saturatedā€¦ contradictory?

Thats why the stock wheels are 97mm, and there are options for 105/120mm Cloud wheels, and 6in ATā€¦ AAAnndndndn Andndndn aAnd you can buy Kegel pulleys to use any Kegel wheel you want

Nope. Assumptions.

Cool, then this isint for you. Its only $849 what more could you possibly get for that price? Do I need to stick a 12s6p in there with dual 6374ā€™s and loose $400/kit selling them at the same price?

22 Likes

The larger wheel pulleys you mention, are they just for the 6" and the abec/kegal will be the same size as old?

There are 48T flywheel pulleys available (stock is 40T).

The 6in pneumatics have a 60T pulley built in so you maintain a similar top speed.

Please see the chart here for top speed/pulley combos: https://buildkitboards.com/collections/kit-accessories/products/20t-speed-upgrade

5 Likes

What is the pricing for the 6" with pulley? I donā€™t see it on the store

1 Like

Gotcha, thank you

I think its around $159 if you add it to the kit

I was saying that the Falcon 36 is a good shape. Its drop down and reasonable in length. Its a very popular style currently. The vanguard was very popular end of 2018, spring of 2019. Less so now. The boosted style deck is a market that is already very oversaturated. The BKB Tayto targeted a different spot in that market where only the boosted mini and meepo mini were around ā€“ and the BKB blew them out of the water in price and performance.
For vanguard style decks you have boosted, meepo, ownboard, Exway, wowgo etc. The market is saturated with options like this, that was my point. The Tayto came out in a time where the short board market was rather thin and most importantly, portable short boards were becoming popular. Boosted mini likely did a lot of marketing for you.
When it comes to ride height ā€“ okay youā€™re right, i was making assumptions about ride height. Its 5.25" with 147mm wheels on a caliber 2 hanger from the bottom of the tire to the top of the baseplate. Thats with no risers and not considering the thickness of the deck. So with a 5mm riser and 10mm deck thickness were at about 5.85" ā€“ okay so its not 6 inches. Id be interested to see if any risers are needed with the deck to clear the larger wheels ā€“ on 184 hangers no less

Iā€™m really just making general observations about the market and the product, not trying to nitpick components. I was honestly surprised to see the vanguard shape when you released it. When it comes to modularity with wheel sizes, I think decks with some drop handle those changes much much better. A 12S6P is a silly jump from where we started. But 12AH is a good minimum size for a board on 110s that wants 15 miles of range or stay above 10 on ATs. Battery upgrades arent an option with the current design. The tayto was well liked with the 3p 30q. But it also wasnt 38 inches long with 40mph gearing options and stock options for 110-147 wheels.

Dont take any of this criticism personally. As a supporter of your business, I just donā€™t want to see this board miss the market ā€“ which IMO, has or is moving away from these style decks ā€“ or at a minimum, has plenty of options for them. For the price, just with the old one, its tough to beat and im sure will be a nice board. I guess the best thing to do would be to reflect on the sales and customers of the tayto and go from there

edit: i see youve got some good wheel pulley ratios available.

5 Likes

AVAILABLE NOW!

14 Likes

I guess the biggest disappointment for me is the colour disparity between the render and the IRL product. The yellow wood deck and matte grey enclosure looked awesome.

With this standard wheel option, are we at 4.85ā€ off the ground? Do you have a riser pad in there? How thick is the deck?

2 Likes

100% agree.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s pretty slick. Nice to have an even larger pulley option.

1 Like

No hate but the deck ainā€™t too appeasing. Just my opinion

I think itā€™s important to mention that there is more to esk8 than just whatā€™s within this forum.

Iā€™m sure thereā€™s a surprising number of people all over the world who are still on that boosted/vanguard clone bandwagon unfortunately

And Iā€™ll be honest, I hate boosted as a company and Iā€™ll shit on their porch all day, but Iā€™ve always loved the loaded vanguard. Itā€™s undeniably a really great longboard deck and after seeing @Sn4Pz boosted clone, it only made me want it more so fuck yea Iā€™m excited to get my BKB duo. Am I gonna DIY the shit out of it? You bet your sweet moon booty I am

9 Likes

The way I think of it is that deck shape is just more appealing to people just getting into esk8 because of its basic shape and resemblance to what their idea of a longboard is. You got to remember most people buying a BKB kit are probably buying their first eboard.

4 Likes

giphy (50)

@jujo please do yourself a favor and go lipo or p24a If youā€™re using the eboosted enclosure (I donā€™t recommend using it eitherā€¦ A better fitting option would be vastly superior)

6 Likes

This forum is a poor representation of what the esk8 customer base is. Ask any dude off the street with an electric skateboard if hes familiar with Jeff Wu. Chances are, he wonā€™t know who the hell that is. This is a special place with the best in the business so itā€™s a tough crowd.

15 Likes