AVAILABLE NOW - Introducing the BKB Duo! The most versatile electric skateboard kit ever created 🚨

All duo kits will have next gen NRF51 Bluetooth modules that you can use with the VESC Tool or Xmatic apps on Android and iOS! Huge thanks to @DerelictRobot

(Note: these are just prototypes, production units will have 4 pin right angle connectors).

21 Likes

My apologies if the comparison offends, but this seems like the Boosted everyone’s been asking for.

Really like how you’ve made it even cleaner looking though. The enclosure on just the one end sets it apart, and really adds to the looks.

One question though, will you only have the one grip tape option? Is it easy to remove for the frit-ers?

4 Likes

Are you talking about the DIY design posted on IG? That will be an accessory that is available in the near future. The grip that comes on the board is just clear griptape from a roll, it can be removed easily with a little heat.

3 Likes

Yeah, thought the IG grip tape was the default. Clear grip with a tasteful BKB logo would be tops!

2 Likes

Why the nrf modules do not have the interface for fw updates in future?
Or is it possible to update through the main jst connector?

There is a standard SWD/JTAG programming pinout underneath the module.

The NRF51 firmware has also only had a few minor firmware updates in the 3 years it’s been published, so it’s considered pretty stable at the current release.

Ja ja, just was interested if it’s possible at all to update. Even if you might not need it ever, it’s good to have the option in my humble opinion. Like the swd port on a vesc based esc. You never know for what it can be good :smiley:

2 Likes

Yep. You can flash them through the port on the underside, which is how they’re flashed initially.

1 Like

@BuildKitBoards why is the pricing here $50 less than the price at the top?

2 Likes

There will be a $50 off coupon at launch (or use an affiliate code) to bring the price from $899 to $849

3 Likes

Got a code for $100 off? :wink:

3 Likes

Buy two kits :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

9 Likes

Love your work, but is there any chance of getting some pics of a production board before launch? Surely you have them in hand already? Specifically some closeups of the enclosure, drivetrain and motor wiring.

1 Like

Coming soon @malJohann

5 Likes

@malJohann some sneaky sneakies for you

BKB Duo Available at 4PM EST!

15 Likes

Thanks mate, a bit low res, but better than nothing. If you’ll allow me to ask some questions.

The two screw holes immediately forward of the rear truck screw holes, is that for cable retainers to ensure the cable casing doesn’t rub against the motor?

I’m not much of a fan of shiny plastic, call me a style nazi if you want, but any kind of texture is preferable over shiny. Matter of fact, the enclosure on the renders looked premium in comparison.

With that in mind, is it safe to assume that the enclosure is made from the same material as the enclosure on the Tayto? What is that material specifically? How thick is it? How is it made (injection / vacuum form)?

Can anyone with BKB Tayto Kit experience chime in on the quality of the enclosure?

Next up, is the board completely devoid of graphics Jared? I mean, I would have expected some kind of logo somewhere.

Also, we know nothing of the 97mm wheels other than its either ABEC or Kegel core (can’t recall which rn). Can you elaborate on the manufacturer, duro, width etc?

4 Likes

3 Likes

A quick look on your website at the Tayto I’m going to guess the exact same 97mm, 78A duro wheels as on the Tayto, and that the enclosure is 2mm vacuum formed ABS.

1 Like

One more comparative shot. Why’s he doing this you might ask? Well? Because I’m looking for the second arrow in my quiver, and I’d like there to be zero surprises.

4 Likes

Definitely nicer if the enclosure was a matte/satin look. Gloss is hard to maintain :sweat_smile:

4 Likes