Archived: the OG noob question thread! 😀

Yeah building a budget AT probably just isn’t the greatest idea. Personally I probably wouldn’t build an exclusive AT for less than 2k. You could get a decent street board for that amount though

1 Like

@ShutterShock I know , im not really looking for a top of the line AT board to take me into the jungle, I just want a board for city streets that will be suber smooth over bad roads or potholes.
originally I was going to buy the wowgo AT hub motors which can be seen on there AT board, they were offering 270 for wheels/motors, esc, and remote, which was an amazing deal. pity that its discontinued :frowning_face:

1 Like

Ah gotcha. Well you could check out the meepo city rider like Bill suggested, or you could take a stab at something like the Backfire Ranger (slightly higher price point). Have heard good things about that.

The reality is if you try to do a cheap drive system like (very bad example) the diyeboard AT drive, it will probably just end up breaking and you’ll spend more money anyway.

The DIY route, you will want good batteries, expensive. The drive system is expensive, the wheels aren’t too bad, speed controller(s) can be budget but I don’t know if it is possible for $650 for a trustworthy board.

My advice is save some more money and do a lot more reading on here and maybe pick up some deals from people on here selling things if you wanna do DIY

In the process of gutting my dead boosted, I’ve found myself stuck disconnecting the power wires from the battery.

Here are two photos showing the wires:

Can anyone give me some instructions on how to safely disconnect the battery from the board?

Are you trying to preserve the wires? I don’t see any reason why you can’t just cut them, one at a time obviously.

I haven’t disassembled a boosted before, so it is possible that there is a connector in there somewhere but we can’t tell from these photos

Aren’t boosted batteries swappable on the board?

1 Like

Is that how that works? :joy: I really have no clue. Do I need special scissors or something?

I want to preserve the wires to make an xt90 connection for a new battery pack

Not for the v1

1 Like

Oh haha yeah usually you want to use wire cutters for something like that, it will ruin your scissors if they aren’t strong enough.

Gotcha.

If you want to use the battery for something else you could cut the wires inbetween the board and the battery, so you have enough room to solder onto the board side, or if you don’t care about this battery, you could cut them right smack up against the battery but it would make it pretty useless if you were to try and sell it or something.

Do you understand what I’m getting at?

1 Like

This battery is toast, although the BMS seems fine 🤷

So to be super clear, any regular scissor (granted it’s strong enough to cut the wire) will work?

1 Like

Not necessarily, I had those hubs and I can say they are pretty bad. The wiring in the hub is horrible and they overheat, that’s probably why they discontinued them

1 Like

Okay I see. Could be a dead cell or something who knows.

Shears could work, like thicc ones. I would personally use wire cutters because I have them. Scissors is pushing it. They may get dulled in the spot that you cut with and it might be difficult, just make sure you only cut one wire at a time. Depends on how good the scissors are too.

It really depends on how hard the wire is, if it was soft silicon wire, might be easier. Hard chinese quality wire would be waaay harder, probably not possible with scissors. At this AWG anyway, looks like 10 or 12. Obviously something like 20 or 22 would be easy to cut with scissors.

1 Like

Thanks for the advice, they seem to be slightly thinner than 10awg (is there an 11awg? Lol), which my scissors cut with only a little difficulty

I’m gonna wear a rubber cooking mit or something… Im a little paranoid about shocking myself if you can’t tell :sob::sweat_smile:

E: Does it matter which I cut first? Negative vs Positive?

@KaramQ oh ok, good thing I didn’t get them

Doesn’t matter, there should not be any chance of you shocking yourself, easiest way if you are worried about it is to just cut one side, whichever you want, then tape it up to cover the exposed conductor, and then cut the other one.

Don’t quote me on it but your body should not even be conductive enough for the voltage from that battery to travel through it. But definitely don’t touch the leads together.

5 Likes

Sounds good! Thank you so much

1 Like

@ShutterShock i’m liking the looks of backfire’s parts, thanks:grin:

I always check out video reviews on Youtube, I would check out some and see if you like how it rides. :slight_smile:

Daniel Kwan has a good one, Press Reset did a review, and Ronnie Sarmiento

Anytime :metal:

1 Like

come on you know what they say about going with black…:grin::sunglasses:

Already said but just want to reiterate main thing is don’t cut both leads together do it one at a time. Good chance you’re cutting it with something conductive and will short through your cutting tool this will get hot and scary pretty fast and the shorting is bad for the cell/battery health.

2 Likes

Generally speaking:

Hubs are cheap and easy for beginners to set up because trucks, motors, mounts, wheels, and any adapters needed are all together. Because of this, they’re not really quality components due to being squished together. They can’t handle heat and therefore won’t be as powerful as other setups (hummie hubs excluded).

You have 3 options:

1. Do some research and accept that it’s going to be more expensive and take longer to make. Make a beautiful board you can upgrade with time.

2. Take your budget and spend it all on a half decent prebuilt like meepo or boosted. Note that you won’t be able to upgrade this much and you will hit your limit and be wanting more umph in a year or less.

3. Get intimidated by all the knowledge and terms you don’t know and give up. This option sucks and results in no fun for you. Don’t pick this one.

Once you have chosen option 1, start here.

2 Likes