Archived: the OG noob question thread! 😀

Yeah… The reason I want to do this is kind of dumb.
The Xt90s is a pain in the ass to get in and out.
So I rather plug the Xt60 connector with the xt90s always attached.

Achieves the same anti spark effect right?

Just need to short these two guys with a cable or solder…

No, that won’t work unfortunately.

The xt90s has a 2 step connection as you plug it in. It specifically needs to be the part that plugs in and out.

You could look in to an antispark switch if you don’t like the bulk of the loopkey. They’re getting more reliable.

3 Likes

So this doesn’t work?
How can I make the Xt90s just a bit more slippery?
I really need to use all my power to get it out again and need around 30 seconds struggling continuously.

1 Like

I need my VESC connected via USB and an external power source like the battery in order to program it, right?

5 Likes

Correct, that will not work.

Plug and unplug the xt90s a thousand times and it will start being easier.

You need power from battery and a USB connection to program. USB will not power the esc.

1 Like

I can put the loop key in series to the negative pole right? I heard some people putting it on the positive side.
Does it matter?

1 Like

just put a big loop on the xt90 so you can put your finger in it and pull it our easily

1 Like

Doesn’t matter. It just interrupts the circuit.

1 Like

Killer write-up by @Linny :

4 Likes

I saw that! Awesome how much effort he/she put in! Sadly, there’s no explanation why you can’t plug your xt90s into a xt90 to xt 60 connector and use it as the loop key.
I really want to know why this doesn’t work, since the magic about the xt90s is due to one side of it having a built in Resistor (AFAIK) which prevents the sparks…
If I use it like this, doesn’t it achieve the same effect? And why? :thinking:
The xt90 to Xt60 is just an extension to the terminals of the (AFAIK) non magic xt90

1 Like

The XT90S is special because it is a 2 stage connector. The resistor hits first, letting power through slowly, (this only takes a fraction of a second to charge), then the main body of the connector hits, at which point voltage has been equalized by the initial resistor section and now full power can flow. Wiring a resistor to a switch would mean full power goes through the resistor, it’ll blow in a second.

8 Likes

Is the issue here that you don’t want to take off the XT-60 connector to put an XT-90 on? If so, rip that bandaid off.

3 Likes

just replace the xt60 on the picture with the xt90. No way around that. I find some of my xt90’s easier to plug in as some xt60.

1 Like

The xt60 plugs in and out flawlessly however the xt90s needs so much force I need to use pliers

I watched an entire movie plugging the xt90 a thousand times.

What you could try is to pinch the prongs together. Very slightly! Also put something around not to damage the prongs.

1 Like

@BillGordon this is the problem I’m having
When I have this mounted to my enclosure, or just having it on the outside for the beginning, I won’t get this on and especially not off, as I need pliers at the moment :joy:
So when I plug it off it might just mess everything up

2 Likes

Screenshot_20200502_000447

You need something that offers more pull force. Either a soldered loop of thick gauge wire you can hook a finger through or something like this handle Linny made. Simply pinching it between your fingers is not enough.

4 Likes

Handle would be awesome!
Someone here with a 3d printer? :sweat_smile:
@xsynatic?

Here are some other nice ones:

8 Likes