Archived: the OG noob question thread! šŸ˜€

#Aliexpress AU $0.60 10%OFF | 1pcs GX12 GX16 GX20 Aviation Connector Plug Cover Waterproof cover Dust Metal/Rubber Cap Circular Connector Protective Sleeve
https://a.aliexpress.com/_dTWzSrf

1 Like

They should take our Randal Pivots

1 Like

What exactly are the keyways on the motor shafts for? Canā€™t you just screw the motor pulley screw into the spot where the keyway is supposed to be?

I have assembled my drive train but I donā€™t think I am using any keyway.

2 Likes

If your motor pulley has a notch, the keyway fits there and nestles into the rectangular depression in the shaft. You can also screw the grub screw into the shaft notch without the keyway, but thatā€™s not as secure.

1 Like

I see. My motor pulley comes without a notch so I assume that is why I do not use a keyway. Might upgrade to one with a notch in the future then since it is more secure.

2 Likes

Looking to replace my motors and esc on my Ownboard AT board, I see Maytech has a sale on motors, but they have options with 8mm or 10mm shaft. Is there a preference people prefer? Pro/cons?

ESC choices is another tough one. Thinking about Flipsky 6.6 plus, but reading bad rep on them. Not sure what else is good out there that doesnā€™t take up much space.

On a recent set up I did the I have a slight issue with the controller. Using the mini Rc remote. I am accidentally pushing on the breakā€¦ When I mean to be in a neutral position. Is the negative ramping time the correct parameter to adjust in the vesc cool to make the break less touchy?

I would increase the PWM (ā€œPPMā€) deadband instead, or just slightly adjust the white knob on the right, on the remote

I use 7% deadband and keep the trims set if they drift off, just adjust it real quick on the hand controller

Changing the ramping time will change how it brakes when you hit the brakes, not when it engages

2 Likes

Thanks dude. Appreciate it. I ran the ppm wizard again. The deadnzone seemed to default to 15,%. I bumped it to 20%. Control was good with no surprise breaking.

2 Likes

It does default to 15% which I think is REALLY wide. If you set your failsafe then at 4% you will be constantly needing to re-trim the remote, at 7% it seems like the sweet spot, maybe 10% to give some slop. 15% or 20% is really wide, are you sure your trigger mechanism isnā€™t worn out?

1 Like

Iā€™m getting some weird vibrations from my idler bearings when acceleratingā€¦smooths out at speed. should i place a speed washer between bearingsā€¦any suggestions on bearings to use.

1 Like

This is all vesc settings. High speed braking is all batt min and lower speed is primarily motor min.

My batt min is at -15A
@xsynatic as well

3 Likes

Try amazon for cheap ones. But much lower quality. @akhults are absolutely worth it

1 Like

Is that for a dual setup? Ie is 15A one side or both added together to 15?

1 Like

-15A battery min for one motor (or -7.5A for each of two ESCs) is medium-weak high-speed brakes. Totally acceptable. But weaker-ish.

-26A battery min for dual drive (set at -13A per ESC) is somewhat stiff high-speed brakes but if you arenā€™t careful you can send yourself Supermanning right off the front.

And of course the more you slow, the less those settings matter as ā€œmotor minā€ controls the stiffness of brakes at lower speeds

1 Like

So Iā€™m using a 5000mah lipo which I assume is only rated to maybe 10A charge (5A each side), I should probaby set it to -5A each right?

On a side note, Iā€™m programming my dual vesc but it seems like the throttle is somewhat wonky. Itā€™s either on ramp or off ramp. There is no proportionality at all. Did I somehow set a setting wrong? Iā€™m using the vesc tool 2.02 and Iā€™m using a makerx

Yeah probably. Although as itā€™s only for a few seconds, you can typically just do it anyway because those charge ratings are for ā€œcontinuousā€ and youā€™ll only be pushing that many amps for a few seconds, once your speed drops your regen current will drop like a rock

But to be 100% to specs, yes, limit it to what the battery is rated for.

2 Likes

Thanks Brian! Iā€™ll go with that for now to keep the lipos safe

Any ideas about the throttle either being entirely on or entirely off?

Posting here as wellā€¦ Iā€™m looking for replacements for my beltsā€¦ HTD 445-5M 15mm wide: does anyone know where to find them with fast shipping to Italy / Eu? thanks guys!

if anyone has some loose 20700 batteries lying around - how much height would you save on a battery that is staggered stacked rather than straight double stacked?

2 Likes