Archived: the OG noob question thread! šŸ˜€

Are you going dual

So I took the can off of my motor because I thought I broke something and I got it back on and it doesnt spin straight. How do I fix this? EDIT: I figured out why its not straight but I cant get it straight. When I tighten the bolts holding the can to the shaft it seems to make the can off kilter by a tiny amount. At that point is it even a problem?

1 Like

Thx but doubled checkedā€¦itā€™s definitely paid status. Sent msg a few days agoā€¦maybe something else is going on. Iā€™ll give it some more time.

Can contact them via chat support on the site too, my order was held up because of back-ordered motors (was going for 170kv) they suggested/agreed to swap them for in stock motors and give me the difference back in price which I was cool with to get my parts quicker.

1 Like

Donā€™t think soā€¦ I posted links to the 2 escā€™s Iā€™m considering.

Thx Iā€™ll try that next

The customer reviews on the Maytech are just screenshots of posts from longhairedboy/Damon on the forum here hahaha.

If I were choosing between these two would go with the Maytech. Maytech isnā€™t really known for quality but they have been making VESCs for a bit longer at least and it appears the one you linked has quite a few upgraded components (USB-C, dedicated ADC for BEMF measurement etc.) not to mention the good marks from our benevolent leader here :smiley:

Flipsky I believe is a spin off company from HGLRC that used to make just quadcopter components and now is making full quadcopters and their ā€œflipskyā€ branding appears to be all geared towards esk8 but they are a new brand in this particular arena (some experience making ESCs and controlling brushless motors so they arenā€™t entirely new to the game but they are new to this niche). I have high hopes they will do better over time but so far havenā€™t heard much but problems about their variants of the VESC (they make a clean built quadcopter).

1 Like

I think Iā€™m gonna go with the Maytech then - the extra features are definitely worth the extra $11 per.
Only problem is mounting themā€¦ theyā€™re long as hell lmao.

1 Like

Just heads up too Iā€™ve typically bought from torqueboards/diyelectricskateboard.com myself and know they are in the midst of getting a vesc 6 variant established and starting to test them I think so if you arenā€™t in a huge rush it might be worth waiting to see what the price and performance on that looks like compared with other vesc 6 based options out there.

2 Likes

Interestingā€¦ Itā€™s getting too wintery to skate now, and itā€™ll probably stay that way till at least april, so Iā€™m in almost no rush at all :stuck_out_tongue:
Might be worth waiting to see what TB comes up with, although Iā€™m also hopeful for some good black friday pricingā€¦

4 Likes

In terms of dual vescs, is a CAN connection better, or is a PPM splitter better for redundancy?
Also, is the maytech anti-spark any good? And would I need one antispark for both escs, or one each?

1 Like

@b264 your favorite topic :grin:

4 Likes

Fuck flipsky :fu:

1 Like

Dual vesc gives you the option of ā€œtraction control.ā€ If you dont want that you can use two receivers on the same remote for redundancyā€¦ You only need one anti spark for both escs

Iā€™m not going to say what I think is better, but my last 2 motor build was neither of those. It was Dual PWM instead of Split PWM. So, like I said, not gonna say what I think is better. But it might be a fair bet that the way I make mine is likely to be the way I think is better.

2 Likes

Have you looked into a loopkey, and decided on an antispark, or have you not looked into using a loopkey?

One of either will power both ESCs.

1 Like

So if I understand correctly, thatā€™s two independently bound receivers? Interesting 3rd possibilityā€¦
I really like the push-button start that my current setup has, so antispark is probably my method of choice.

1 Like

Yes

It keeps the two motors with in a determined erpm. So if one motor loses traction it will not spin up faster than the one that has traction. If it works has been argued, I believe it does tho.

2 Likes

Nope, mee too

1 Like