Archived: the OG noob question thread! 😀

Well to be fair, I have 4.12 VESCs in use right now, I just got off one, in fact. There is nothing wrong with them. They are what they are.

1 Like

Yeah, I agree. They’re a good basic solution for a low-load (commuter) board. But with his build he’s obviously asking more from them than they can comfortably handle by climbing hills at high speed. As I see it, his options are to either A:) change his riding habits (unlikely), B:) change his gearing so he can’t load the ESC down so hard on hills, C:) go dual 4.12s to spread the load, or D:) upgrade to something beefier like a Flipsky 6.6.

Option A is free, B is cheap, C is quite expensive, and D is similarly expensive, or maybe a little cheaper.

3 Likes

I would go with option c. It would solve these problems the best. Go for option d after completing c.

Of course once option c is completed you’ll now most likely run into the next problem of wanting more range since you’re now bombing hills like nobody’s business and that’s impacting your range now.

Wanting more range also creates the next problem which is needing more space for more powah baybeh and so you’ll probably need a new deck and enclosure to fit it all.

Now your board is getting kind of heavy and you’re now probably considering starting a new build that’s lightweight and for shorter distance aka your grocery board.

By the way have you seen your wallet? Me neither because it ran away like mine did.

4 Likes

Yes, B is what I’d pick, or C.

1 Like

So I have a brand new build 12S5P battery (samsung 30Q)
With voltage screen, BMS and ON/OFF switch.

I just received my brand new charger and the battery does not charge.
Also on the voltage screen nothing comes up.

The cells were bought brand new from NKON and all part are also brand new.

Any idea why the battery doesn’t charge?

@pjotr47

1 Like

Switch it on when you charge it.

Yes the switch is in the “ON” position @Dareno

1 Like

Still not firing up hey? May need a few more detailed pics of the wiring then. Do the obvious and check your charger is good first though. Get a multi in there

I am talking about the board not the charger when I say switch it on in case that was unclear and you thought I was being a dick. That bms needs to be switched on when charging

Oh so if i understand correctly it wont charge without the rest of a board attached to it (esc, etc…)

right now its laying there by itself without being connected to anything.

You just have to switch on the bms. Effectively the board if it was indeed in the board.

So, I got my (first)board yesterday and had slot of fun with it, there is alot of getting used to, fell over a few times while standing still on it, any riding tips regarding stance and steering ?
My feet were killing me after 3km ride, what shoes are you using?

Practice. Then practice some more. And if you don’t regularly ride you’ll probably ache all over again depending on your fitness.

Stance is a preference thing and also depends on your deck type. Look at some videos of us and try a few out to see what you prefer. I like to bend my knees a little which is what anyone should do and stand like -\—\- or more like -|—|- or -\—/- or -|—\- or a combination of those depending on speed and carving.

I try to ride every other week at the least. The last ride we did a group ride of 50km. It ended up being 65km since we had to make a detour due to a ferry that wasn’t operating in the weekend.
The next few days the only ache I had was my right calf.

My very first time riding 10km on a meepo my feet and legs were aching for a week. This was two years ago.

@b264 I noticed I am missing a few slashes. How do I fix this?

1 Like

All of the above x 10. You will get used to it. I get sore if I don’t ride for a week and go on a long ride.

Get a nice flat soled shoe. Check out this thread for recommendations.

1 Like

You nailed it. I am working on a new board with a bigger battery and I am trying to decide if I use the same drive train or upgrade to dual. The problem is, this is the only significant hill I ride up, my my house is at the top and I would prefer not to walk up it. Is that worth the money for new motors, mounts and vesc? Maybe.

1 Like

Yes. I was riding around the other day and one of my motors slid out of alignment so I was down to 1wd.

If that fail happened, I’d be walking my ass back with a medium sized board. I was still able to go faster than all the other riders around me but had way more acceleration and power left over with the 2wd.

Hi, i felt the other day, smashing my FLIPSKY VX1 remote on the ground. The switch is dead (“random” values send by the remote when i break) so i want to replace it: do you know the ref of this component ?

PS: i asked Flipsky support and they told me that they don’t know the ref and can’t sell me one…

1 Like

Maybe just buy a battery from a good builder and don’t let them build by other builders and then ask the others for a solution… Battery packs that are tested with charging and discharge :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

What output voltage do you have?

4 Likes

When using the TSG DHP knee pad size guide, where on my thighs do I measure the circumference? like right above my knee or what? @Grozniy @taz @anon54720240 @sk8l8r

2 questions

• What different loctites should i use. i hear red is for permanent stuff, and to lock in place things but not permanently blue or green.
    but in reality there is all this
    https://henkeladhesivesna.com/henkeldocs/LT-6540_AN_RemovableReliable_SS_v11_Final_Links.pdf

• I have two Unity’s but i am only doing one build (MTB). should i sell both of them and get 2
    VESC 6+ or don’t bother and sell a unity and use that money for other accesories.
    Is the vesc 6+ much more reliable and worth it on an emtb?