Apex Jump Drive

Great job guys. These drives were done exactly how gear drives always should have been. I couldn’t have done a better job :ok_hand: :clap:

8 Likes

This is probably because this was our launch spec, We sold the most predators with moon drives and all our demo boards were fitted with them. Plus they are all I personally have on hand.

We switched to boardnamics when we realised the moon drives had design issues affecting reliably, and had seen positive reports on the robustness of the boardnamics drives.

The simple reason you haven’t seen me replace a boardnamics drive is that they aren’t breaking.

12 Likes

I have some experience with this. A freehand groove with the thin discs that like to explode ends up with a semicircle shaped groove that the circlip likes to jump out of. I’ve had the best results cable tying a dremel to my lathe and grinding the shaft much more precisely, but you still get a groove with rounded corners due to the shape of the cutting disc. But you could use it in combination with loctite and gel superglue to cake up the circlip so it cant vibrate loose (can confirm this works) lol

2 Likes

Thanks. You guys all make such awesome stuff and your kind words mean a lot to us.

25 Likes

We have never tried but it might be possible with a thin cutting disk. a 24mm shaft will have 2mm outside the gear.

As @Tony_Stark says the problem is usually the rounded edges on a shallow slot. but you might be able to go 1mm deeper and use a 6mm circlip which would then have plenty of gripping surface.

Otherwise a circlip on combination with some locktight will always add a little extra security if your concerned.

Finally, it might be worth mounting the motor up on an old mount (or something in a vice), then going into the vesc tool and using the live controls to set it to a low rpm. This way you can ensure that your cut is even all the way around the shaft.

6 Likes

Fair enough, was just interested in a more apples to apples comparison

Awesome work guys!:heart_eyes:

1 Like

Don’t worry when I get around to building an MTB I’ll be using these!

4 Likes
14 Likes
20 Likes

Might be a silly question but have you guys tried mounting these to Luna 350’s? I suppose there would be no different from the Airs, no?

2 Likes

Man the more i look at these, the more i want them. So nice.

12 Likes

Should work no problem. The profiles were identical with the idea of standardisation from both parties.

2 Likes

has anyone used both these drives and BN m1-AT extensively? what are the main differences? trying to decide which way to go

1 Like

That’s gonna only be the apex guys considering the jump drives just released.

3 Likes

@haven one of the important things to me is that the jump drive is meant for AT, and as such comes in ratios 5.5:1 and 4.4:1. If you want the go fast ratio of 3.95:1, the M1-AT is your choice.

I also think the apex is only compatible with Apex and Trampa trucks.

2 Likes

good to know, currently running 3.95, definitely like the go-fast speeds

figured the jump drives would come in other ratios

If you need to go fast, high ratios are still preferable. Just increase the motor KV.

7 Likes

Or voltage, or both 50/50

4 Likes

Or put 9” tyres on.
I’ve got a set of 8s and a set of 9s. 1 minute speed change with 4 nuts.

8 Likes