Apex Boards - UK Storefront

15 Likes

Nice. What’s inside? This the steel or Pom?

Our weights have all the screws and hardware included.

1 Like

I do believe thats the pom drive with all the hardware

The interesting question to ask would be how many people have broken their steel pinion gears in real world riding. If that number is not statistically significant, it would suggest most gear drives have sufficient or oversized pinions.

If this particular gear drive has already been in testing for a year, with many testers trying to bash them to bits, it suggests this particular size, strength, and modulus is well designed for the job.

It seems inevitable that hardware progress will continue, designs will evolve, and new incredible products will overtake years-old designs. The trend in most motorsports and many human-powered sports is toward cutting every gram of weight and increasing the power:weight ratio. To imply a new competing design is weak based on its weight achievements is in poor taste.

17 Likes

Good to know that the pinion is easy to change on the Apex jump drive. So shouldn’t be a big issue in case it really needs to be replaced :relieved:

22 Likes

A small gear with 3kw going through it will wear over time? Shocker.

All mechanical parts wear and nothing is forever. The important factor is how graceful the failure mode is, and how easily are the parts replaced.

When a big pom gear chews up or shatters mid ride that’s a problem. Your stranded and your out of action till a replacement arrives.

If you notice your steel gear is starting to sound a bit odd due to wear you’ve probably still got 100’s of miles to get a new one ordered and get it fitted without any downtime.

Anyways let’s try keep this vendor thread on topic.

Discussion on the jump drive design would be better in the jump drive thread.

Or more generalised gear design theory and discussion might be better in is own thread.

15 Likes

Will the chaindrive work with trampa megastars?

Unfortunately not at the moment. Only supported trampa hub is the phatlads for now.

1 Like

: ( owell

But we picked the phatlads, Rockstar ii and fivestar as they are all very well designed hubs that are also cost effective.

You can get a pair of either for £30 which means getting a few sets for different tyre treads or sizes is feasible. And carrying a pre inflated spare is a cheap and quick for if you get a puncture.

2 Likes

I agree with what your saying. I just like the way the megastars look and thats what I have. I think if I start going on some crazy trips in the middle of nowhere those would be the hubs to go with. like how you guys really thought things through.

1 Like

For offroad use - absolutely, but street riding peeps like aluminum wheels xD

Street riding peeps need to consider getting adaptors made then! xD

I can’t think of any other hubs which would be compatible with a low-profile (i.e. lightweight) press-fit adaptor. Assuming you’ll want the convenience of a press-fit, maybe one strategy would be to make a hub-specific male and a generic female pair, one for the hub and one for the drive. Failing that, a bolt-pattern to bolt-pattern adaptor should be pretty straightforward.

If folks were so inclined, @ApexBoards, would you confirm the measurements?

Unfortunately there are so many different hubs out there its really difficult to come up with a one size fits all solution. We settled the 3 hubs we chose due to the number of people using them and their easy availability in most countries.

That said, were happy to work with anyone who wants to make hub adapters for a specific hub. We also Already have a design where our push-fit adapter can be removed and a wheel with adapter fitted can still be used in a push-fit way. Its had les testing but should still be more robust than other solutions we have seen in common use.

if anyone has a specific wheel in mind drop us a PM and we can discuss the best way for you to achieve push-fit compatibility with the Jump Drive

5 Likes

YOOOO APEX TEAM
Nice new drivetrains you got man.
Congratulations ! You nailed it Bro.

Well designed and ready for sale, i am impressed (again) you got a good Team for sure !

The elements you put in this drives are on my mind (CAD / Prototypes) for longer times…
Maybe some manpower missing here (-;
Anyway … VERY COOL NEW STUFF ON MARKET

ALL THE BEST
jenso / e-toxx

35 Likes

Apex X Etoxx collab when?

14 Likes

1 Like

I’m really excited to get my hands on the jump drive.
The clearance will be a proper refreshment to the board!

5 Likes

Thanks Jenso! It means a lot to hear that from you!

10 Likes

Also interested by the clearance difference between jump and boardnamics before go with your drive