APEX AIR & PKP TUNING MEGATHREAD

They’re 12mm axles. Although anything is technically possible. I wouldn’t recommend trying turn down the axles. Pneumatics for the win.

2 Likes

Yeah I just like variety. I pre-ordered the surf nachos 3.75 hubs, im relatively sure that those will fit both sizes so that I can easily run these in the front direct drive in the back, but id still like some 12x22x7 bearings if only they existed T.T

1 Like

I’m interested in these trucks, how do they compare to hypertrucks or MBS trucks?

I’ve had all of them - these are honestly best suited for off road on most set ups imo. However I love them on my proto with small tires. the multiple pivot directions of the air’s soak up city streets even with small 155mm air tires. makes carving fun too, I’ve found them a little squirly above 26-30 without bindings but still love them for what they do.

Hypers and MBS’s a great too just different in that they pivot in one direction. So imo they’re a little more stable at high speed on the road.

4 Likes

Not sure how much preload you have but generally were finding more preload is better. If your running low preload but don’t want less turning you can always move to a softer busing and increase the preload. Turning should be the same but it will feel much more stable and locked.

5 Likes

I’ll try this! for reference I’m running chubby cone then barrel in wine red out back and then chubby cone and cone in white up front. I haven’t cranked down on them really, I’ll give emm all another half turn before taking that board out next time.

2 Likes

We dont even run the wine reds on our AT setup, we’ve found the hardcore gravity dudes that ride these want the wine reds but we don’t use them. I’d recommend putting the same bushings you’ve got on the front on the back and like Q said crank them down a bit and see how you go, if its too soft step up to green etc. Deffo do not want the hanger loose, tighten it down and then adjust the bushings accordingly for the best performance.

4 Likes

what is the axle nut thread?
@moon

7/16ths UNF

1 Like

hmm ok so matches trampa and MBS also?

It’s pretty standard across all the eMTB trucks yeah

1 Like

here trampa says UNC not UNF

I think most people don’t trust that website but ours and Matrix 2 are for sure 7/16ths UNF. No idea on others sorry.

2 Likes

Does someone does turn radius test on soft bushing vs mbs trucks?

8 Likes

That was super informative. Thanks for posting

1 Like

Interesting results.
Wouldn’t the lean-to-turn ratio be the same for both trucks at the same angle?
Are the M2 just able to lean that much more?

1 Like

This video is great but it doesn’t tell the full story. The MBS Matrix 2 have 3 different duros of bushing that are all the same shape. The Apex Air have hundreds of combinations of bushing duro and shape, so how do you compare them?

If you put soft double cone bushings in the airs they turn tighter than yellow MBS bushings in Matrix 2. If you put hard chubbies in the airs they will not turn at all, you just fall over. Of course this is just one metric of how a truck behaves, bushing shape heavily influences the linearity of the turn response. And with all of this we are ignoring that the two trucks are entirely different technologies and both perform differently because of this.

The airs are super adjustable and have to be configured for how you want to use them, that’s what is most important and was the basis for this thread.

@tipsy the matrix cannot lean more than the Airs, but they pivot differently. A fixed pivot truck is constrained and therefore turns differently to one without a fixed pivot. When you take these two different technogies off road the PKP truck comes into its own, the truck with a fixed pivot transfers a lot of shock into the deck and causes micro movements you need to correct for continuously. The PKP, being free from most of the constraints of the fixed pivot truck can conform to the terrain and absorbs a lot of the shock. This means you get a nicer off road experiance.

3 Likes

Well, with the bushing options you guys have, I doubt there will ever be a video that will tell the whole story.

1 Like

Not without taking multiple takes from different riders of different weights and ride styles. I think I’ve sank like $120-$150 in bushings to have the options to dial them for specific scenarios if I choose to. Also to allow folks to try them.

3 Likes