APEX AIR & PKP TUNING MEGATHREAD

AHHH good to know, thanks for your feedback.

2 Likes

You guys just shipped me a pretty healthy order of bushings. Looking forward to trying combinations… Green in Houston. I’ll post my feedback here.

8 Likes

First ride should be tonight! Locktite dried last night.

11 Likes

The hub gear was not pushed in all the way at the time of picture. Everything aligned great, spins freely. Motor is using fixed points as
I also installed the 9T.

3 Likes

Red pen is back

2 Likes

First ride was short and in the dark, but the ride feels transformed for the best. Tested riding over a curb, and it absorbed much more than I expected. Can’t wait to put in some real miles.

6 Likes

I love these trucks. The roads around here are crazy rough and the absorption from these compared to all my other trucks is night and day.

I’m 98kg. Longboarding, snowboarding and surfing background so I’m looking for something very agile with some decent stability in the mid 20-30mph range.

Started with the ‘medium’ setup with minimal mmm preload.

• Far too stiff at low speeds
  • Very stable at high speeds
  • Don’t like

Swapped out the red fat cones for green cones and green barrels, minimal preload.

• Pretty similar feeling to having red fat cones.
  • Don’t like

Swapped out above barrels for all green cones on minimal preload

• Much better low speed carving and still surprisingly stable at high speeds.
  • Better than above

Swapped out above for all whites, fat cones/cones with a wee bit of preload.

• Mid to high speed carving is almost perfect
  • Surprisingly stable at high speeds yet agile when slow
  • Might swap out the fat cones to barrels
  • Favourite setup so far

Over the next few days I’ll be trying:

• red fat cones and white cones.
  • while barrels and white cones

I have a feeling I’m going to settle on all white fat cone/cones or red fat cones/white cones

19 Likes

Color code for KranK is:

Grey 96a
Burgundy 93a
Green 90a
White 87a
Reddish Orange 84a

10 Likes

This was all done without bindings on my haero bro deck.

Also wanted to say I feel much more confident riding at higher speeds with these trucks.

Will definitely be buying another set for my other setup

4 Likes

Is your set up you like best for mostly rough asphalt or off road riding?

2 Likes

Bit of both. I ride on the road to get to the woodland bike trails near my house where it’s mostly dirt with some grassy parts and also rough asphalt so I’ve tried all the various setups on the route.

The white fat cones and cones are giving me the best performance across all terrains without having to completely change my bushing setup

6 Likes

Thanks for the explanation, I can’t wait to get a pair and see what works best for me but I’m noting a couple setups to try.

2 Likes

At 160lbs on my Bro I’m on the same set up. Its like butter.

3 Likes

I’ve been trying out a lot of different bushing setups and red fat cones and red cones are the shit (I’m really loving the fat cones in general - never tried them until recently).

It was a little twitchy when carving at high speed but after tightening the kingpins just over one full turn past snug, the twitchiness at high speed went away and it’s now so buttery silky smooth and predictable when carving.
I haven’t tried red fat cones with red barrels but I think they will also be very very nice when well past snug.

The krank bushings are also amazing. Just a few turns of the kingpin but changes the feel so much and I believe you can go up to 2 full rotations past snug.

I really can’t recommend these trucks enough -amazing job Apex bros

8 Likes

Amazing feedback! Thank you!

In general I think it’s best to run a tight kingpin and then change the bushings to suit what you want which is what you have found out also. @RipTideSports KranK range is amazing and all the combos work well, I also love the red fat cone on top on my setup!

3 Likes

I found that red/orange barrels with green cones in the back and all red/orange up front was the perfect carvy set up with stability still there :ok_hand:t3: I’m 180lbs

4 Likes

Apex Air related, but not tuning… what all geardrives work with these hangars?

1 Like

@nowind, @Moon and @boardnamics all have gear drives that work with the Airs. @IdeaTB has belt kits for it

6 Likes

Perfect, Lee! Cheers

1 Like

…anyone know how these act on a shortboard yet? Ya boy was already debating channel vs 3 link for the front end of a 30 inch tbdd build…

1 Like