Anyone still using a 10S setup?

I will stand with a person who actually graduated in electronics and says “the torque at 10S is applied at lower RPM than 12S”. Do whatever you want with this information.

Another person here who “graduated in electronics” (I have a BSC in robotics) just wanted to call BS on this claim.

If running on the same motor the internal resistance is the same. If the same motor current is applied then V=IxR so the effective voltage is also the same. This means that the torque generated is the same whenever your being limited by motor current irrelevant of battery voltage.

17 Likes

Couldn’t you compensate for that by adjusting the throttle curve? I tend to curve it so there’s more throttle at the lower end, since starting from standstill, especially on hills, usually needs more punch. And also I’m overweight.

4 Likes

That was a lot of words I don’t understand but I’m gonna just assume you slammed him

2 Likes

I have a theory. 10s/12s/16s if geared for the same top speed and same output wattage will have precisely zero perceptible difference.

4 Likes

I like the theory as a basis for setting up some additional testing metrics.

We really need to get an open sourced dyno & rack setup for some more repeatable testing. Imagine being able to introduce variable loads, as well.

10 Likes

@linny built one a while back.

5 Likes

You seen Evolve’s?

2 Likes

I have not actually, but perhaps I’ll do some more googling.

I have a pretty good idea how one could be built on the cheap with some extruded aluminum channels & industrial rollers.

3 Likes

any chance of freecycling some parts from a standard treadmill?

I have a pretty good hype detector and I’m fairly certain you are correct. Of course I’m not going to let that stop me from moving to 14S before anyone off the shelf does. Besides unicycles, of course. My mediocre little Nikola is already running a 20S6P which i need to rebuild because I’m only getting about 45 miles out of it. That’s what i take to the Circle K to get the big Stellas.

3 Likes

timestamped

All of my boards are still 10s. Maybe I’ll have a 12s in the future. Just makes more sense to have one charger for all, ya know?

5 Likes

Then u will end up like @b264 with 43 10s charger lolll

4 Likes

I have, my biggest concern is the inherent drag in these systems. Ideally you could have something that could have a variable amount of load ranging from near freeroll to full brake/lock

4 Likes

Jokes on yall I have one 10s 5A charger only :smiley:

2 Likes

We need a dyno firmware for vesc based controllers. Then everyone could build their own dynos with rollers and and davega, standard skate motor and some other stuff I’m not going to spell everything out.

2 Likes

no your boards suck, and I know because I have only ever looked at pictures.

3 Likes

one day when i can afford it linny will build me one and i’ll use it to taunt you.

3 Likes

3 out of 4 of my boards are 10s, easy to keep things safe and small

4 Likes

10S4P flat is still my favorite pack to build. 107 evolve mods and counting.

7 Likes