Anyone still using a 10S setup?

I already have the equipment. 4/5 batteries are 10s. mainly running a hobbywing 10s only esc. 12s currently for my mtb.

No, i probably would upgrade to 12s.

5 Likes

But shouldn’t available amps be the same?

5 Likes

@Battery_Mooch my main build is 10S -

What I like about 10s (assuming a comparison between 10s4p and 12s4p) is that It’s the sweet spot with the ESCs and motors I use. After that, 10S is also:

• Lighter
  • Less expensive
  • Easier to fit in a limited enclosure
  • A litter easier to build the pack

What I don’t like:

• Less DIY street cred than 12S, 14S, or 16S
  • Obviously all the disadvantages of a lower-voltage setup (mainly less range and less overhead)

Next build:
Will probably be 12S or 14S, to see if I notice a difference. Also peer pressure :slight_smile:

My typical rides last about an hour and 10s4p with 30Qs holds up for me!

10 Likes

For uber street cred maybe we should just call a 10S setup “20S Lite”? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

11 Likes

The amps indeed are the same, the peak power is lower. But… your starting power is much higher. I should get my electronics friend to do the explanation here better than me. :slight_smile: At first I didn’t believe this either, but once we tested it in real life conditions I was a believer.

I even weigh more than him(+20kg at least) and during the drag race riding 10S until certain speed (approx 30km/h for the gearing) I was shredding his ass. :laughing:

1 Like

I’m rebuilding a 10S6P 30Q in an old Lacroix right now. I see it enough to keep 10S chargers and BMSs laying around.

6 Likes

So I for sure just wasted a bunch of money trying to build 16S? lol fuck

2 Likes

But you will be able to wroom wroom to 100kph. x)

1 Like

After somehow frying two single foxboxes with 12s a few years ago, I just stuck with 10s even though the newer ESCs can handle 12s. I’m more about longer range vs speed so my main 10s6p (110mm) and 10s8p (6") are sufficient

8 Likes

I feel like 12s is the new baseline, but that doesn’t mean 10s is outdated.

more deets

My transportation boards (mainly my eLofty DD with Maker-X DV4) are all 10s. My fun boards are 12s, and I’ll be building another 12s4p next month, and an HV of 14s+ before summer.

6 Likes

32 posts were merged into an existing topic: Derail Jail 2020_Summer

Not sure I agree/understand. Your motors wouldn’t even know the difference between 10s and 12s at low duty cycle.
Low end torque = motor amps.

Comparing 10s vs 12s is pretty meaningless IMO, overall system design/specs is what matters.

8 Likes

Yeah either the ESC is less efficient at 12s, or those batteries were at different voltage levels / one newer than the other. But the math does NOT check out

3 Likes

Walks in obliviously

I still ride 10S! It’s not bad, but my next build will be 12s for sure. Just need more speed! I’m even considering 14s since I already have a Ubox. . We’ll see.

I think 10s is good for beginners and as people have mentioned to reduce size without necessarily sacrificing range.

7 Likes

I might replace my 10s4p 30q with a 12s3p or 11s4p if I can squeeze it in there. 10s is fast enough for me on a flexier deck but since I run a 1:1 (Direct drives) ratio I really notice the speed loss as the pack voltage drops. I’d like to be able to hit 28-30mph at 30% charge instead of feeling like I am limping up to 24-26mph.

10s4p seems like the bare minimum for a “fun” or “powerful” board (IMO) although each use case is different depending on the range and speed you want.

EDIT: @Battery_Mooch your tests have been invaluable to DIY’ing a battery pack and I respect the work you do!

7 Likes

I mean you’re half way there

wooooaaa

livin on a-

4 Likes

:pray: Thank you for your kind words!

8 Likes

Thank you everyone for your time!
10S was more popular than I thought and, thanks to your input, I realize it’s for very good reasons.

8 Likes

Do a 12s6p 21700 cells. Worth it!!!

6 Likes

range monster! I just did a 12S6P p42a pack for a subsonic. miles and miles.

This guy is just getting a stock cell refresh since he’s selling the board.

4 Likes