Anyone still using a 10S setup?

I’m curious if 10S is still being used much, or if just for a certain type of setup?

If you’re running 10S, what are the advantages for you versus the higher voltage setups? If you were building a new board would you stick with 10S?

9 Likes
  • Many Vesc 4 based ESCs would often die at 12s due to voltage spikes.
  • Sometimes the shape of the enclosure is best utilized at 10s instead of 12s
  • If your battery is small, the benefits of going higher voltage could be miniscule enough to not make a difference.
12 Likes

For example, in this build of mine

the enclosure fits a 10s4p, bms and single ESC with hardly any room to spare.

And I’ll soon have a Bustin Sportster build for my other brother where I’ll be using 10s3p with NESE just because lower S count means buying less modules :laughing: (And he will be speed limited anyway due to his age)

3 Likes

Three of the builds I’ve done for friends are 10s. Mostly because it’s a little cheaper, they’re lipo, or they don’t need to go as fast. They have the added benefit of being more reliable on 4.x hardware

3 Likes

All of these are the reason my 2nd board is 10s

5 Likes

Yep, same. My thane board is a 10s4p. Still has plenty of torque and speed. The advantages are cost, weight, fits into a smaller enclosure and doesn’t kill my V4.12 hardware.

2 Likes

Daughter’s board is 10S due to space restrictions. She is light and it’s plenty fast enough. However, when my 12S board is in 10S voltage range, I want to go home. Gearing will help give the pep back but will sacrifice top end.

2 Likes

I run 10s on my kick-tail and it’s one of my favorites. For street decks 10s is legit in my opinion.

2 Likes

I have an entire fleet of 10S li-ion and 12S LiFePO4 boards.

10S was mostly chosen for reliability reasons back in the day.

Now, it’s more because I have about forty-three 42.0V chargers everywhere.

10 Likes

you guys still ride 12S? i thought we all agreed to use 14S

2 Likes

No…no…I’m pretty sure what we agreed on was to be respectful of the decisions others make for their board setups.

25 Likes

Me, still using 10s4p vtc6
Limited enclosure space and not going for high speeds

The next one will be - 12s4p Molicel p42 (Bustin Sportster and eBoosted enclosure)

5 Likes

Another thing about 12S vs 10S is torque distribution over the speed range.

10S will deliver the torque and stop delivering it earlier than 12S if the batteries are equivalent P. Meaning that 10S will have better low end torque, 12S will have more torque at higher speed.

Personally tested: 10S5P vs 12S5P, identical drive systems. 10S5P delivers much more starting torque in a “drag race” (until 30km/h), but then it “flattens out”, while 12S has some more torque to deliver till it reaches top speed.

10S sometimes is just right regarding the gearing and motor kV you have.

If I’d have to choose to use 12+S or 10S for a board that should go 40KM/h and have relatively nice torque I’d stick with 10S.

(Own a 12S and a 10S build.)

5 Likes

I only have it on my slow commuter because I needed to use the 12s3p I had planned on using to keep another build alive. with Xenith’s out there whats the point anymore?

that being said fastest I’ve ever gone is on a 10S set up lol

2 Likes

all of my boards that has v4 esc are still on 10s, simply because i do not want to take risk…but then again…my 12s board have a 100d inside…for reasons :joy:

3 Likes

I’ve suspected this to be true but didn’t have the luxury of changing zero variables. I still have more testing to do but definitely exploring this.

3 Likes

10s is fine the only problem I see with it is there is less you can. Like if you use a 12s setup you can use lower kv or gearing to get the same top end as a 10s but have better torque

2 Likes

Going to need someone to explain the math to me.

4 Likes

In basic terms, you will need to use more amps to get the same power. Amps = torque. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Switching losses is all I can figure, but interested to know as well.

Wish I had the means to do a quick side-by-side experiment.

5 Likes