Any p42a cell users out there?

So might as well use some samsing 48G, more amps, similar capacity (if price isn’t considered)

Pretty weak amp rating for 48G.

1 Like

For my Bajaboard I used 50E in 10S12P

1 Like

Mad range. 60 Ah?

About 70 to 75 km.

2 Likes

Currently building a 12s4p NESE pack with the p42a’s. I got them from Li-Ion Wholesale’s black friday sale for $6.31/cell. Im hoping to get at least 20 miles of range out of it on bergmeisters/avio gears. Ill try to remember to update here when its done :slightly_smiling_face:

@magharees you are the only other guy on here that I know of with hands on these cells(I think?), do you have any updates to share? :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Sorry man apart from keeping them in storage charge I’ve been held up in life events lately. Hoping to get building again soon. Good luck with them

2 Likes

Printing the last NESE box now, then its on to wiring! Ill need all the luck I can get :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Dam, I must have the best ones all over the world then :sweat_smile: (+3yrs of use, and daily use +6months by yr)
I never see a fire caused by lipo on esk8fr … but liion pack, there were a few!

I don’t know any li-ion cell pack cheaper than lipos, so please, if you could share me the link/shop please let me know ! :pray:

It’s maybe time to try liion this year !? (I know, for those following, I already say I will try it this yr ^^)

What’s your idea of a cheap lipo? If you can build your own liion packs, and your discharge requirements aren’t crazy, they can be cheaper. Take # of cycles into account, and they are definitely cheaper.

I’m a big fan of picking your cell based on your specific application, so I think there are valid reasons to use either chemistry, and price generally takes a back seat.

1 Like

This is a good tagline for DIY esk8 in general :rofl:

2 Likes

ho, we are comparing ready to use lipo with DIY liion pack … ok Im out so :sweat_smile:

I got 10s5Ah20c @ +/- 60€, 12s10Ah20c @ +/- 120€ (my last one). Used at 50A batt and 60A motor max / vesc.
But I mostly use Graphene 12s12Ah15c @ +/-300€ (70A batt and motor max / vesc).
cycles are insane … for me at least. I only let one 12s12Ah graphene pack aside because it is a bit inflated (got since 2016/2017 I guess). The second one still works well for my ebike.

Same here :wink: but in 2013 there wasn’t any cell pack existing.
And since I keep use them because of what I say before (no fire, no-sag, good price/power … and I got chargers for them so …) But 2020 is a new yr !

I know I got to make mines. Maybe a 12s 8/9/10p of 40t for mtb, and a 12s2p of werks cell for the little daily cruiser. All NESE like based.

Also, just notice 4.95/4.55€ / P42A cell, not +6€ … to let other know ^^

2 Likes

Recently built a 13s4p pack. Was intended to go 12s with an extra p group as a backup for repair. But why the hell not.

8 Likes

Nice! Now that you mention it, i just saw this the other day in the battery builders thread. I cant believe I forgot about it that quick haha :sweat_smile:

Do you have this build on the road yet? How are the p42a’s doing? What settings are you running them at?

2 Likes

Hit the baesk8 group ride twice now. I don’t have full logs cus unity is being weird with the button/remote/metr. Idk what’s going on but vx1 DC issue developed into unity auto reboot but only when riding slow or at a stop. Anyways let me see if I can find logs comparing 13s4p 30Qs vs P42A.

2 Likes

How much nickel do you have parrallel?

1 Like

Wing, have you abandonded the @winfly compression packs?

1 Like

I am planning to build a 12S4P with p42a cells and wish I could find more reviews from people who are currently using them. From what I have read they are similar to the Samsung 40Ts, with even less sag and higher continuous Amps. The only downside being the additional cost.

I am curious about how many cycles I would get out of a pack like this before it reaches around 80% of the original capacity. I suspect I will not notice a significant drop in punch even after a couple years of use because I will be upgrading from a 10S, 40 amp max cont. pack.

Now if we can just bring one of these 12S stable, dual VESC variants to market that I keep hearing are just around the corner!

Official specs say

500 cycles at 4.2A charge and 10A discharge for 80%

I think around 400 cycles are realistic, but that holds for most high quality cells.

2 Likes

That would be awesome!

Im planning to run my 12s4p at 120 battery amps. What is your battery discharge and regen current set at? Im thinking 32A should be a totally safe regen current on 4P since they are rated for 8A fast charge.

1 Like