Alpine Mountain Bomber 20S4P 10kW

Hey everyone,

after reading the build thread of @jack.luis and his awesome machine, I noticed that I’ve never showed you my personal Mountain Bomber.
Since I never really was in to off road stuff, it was a late decision for me to get an MTB. But I do like the connection with the board through the bindings and the improved caving ability especially on tight karting tracks.

So I had a slightly different approach concepting the Alpine board.

1. Weight of under 20kg
  2. Speed of 65+ km/h
  3. Enough torque to shred through all hills and steep bridges.
  4. Smooth carving abilities and tight turning radius
  5. Range of 50+ km on pneumatics
  6. Water proof
  7. It should be somehow special/different with a cool look

So, I started to order the basic stuff to get a first impression where I could improve or change something.

My starter pack contained:

MBS DW II deck
MBS hubs + 8" wheels
MBS Metal Matrix II
MBS binding and heel straps

Having now a complete non e MTB it was about time to dive into the interesting and juicy stuff :grin:

First thing was the decision of the drive train. Since I made some good experiences with Kevin from @Boardnamics in the development process of the Titan board, I decided to use his metal on metal helical AT GD with his 6384 170KV motors.

To get enough power of those babies it was clear that I will need a decent battery with potent controllers. After having some bad experiences with Trampa’s 100V/250A VESC and some good experiences with MakerX Go FOC 12S VESCs I was keen enough to try their 20S VESCs as well. To max out the controllers I went with 42A Molicels in a 20S4P configuration. The VESCs are capable of 200pA continuous or 250pA max each and the battery can provide 140A continuous or 280A max. At 72V it results in over 10kW nominal power or in 23kW max power at 84V. This makes it to my most powerful board by far.

The battery is combined with a 20S Daly smart BMS and the VESCs with Metr Pro. Additionally I’m using a FS 20S 300A ASS and the VX2 Pro.

The electronics box is a water proof all in one box with a cable management plug. You can easily unplug the motor wires and unscrew the box to separate it from the board. All in all the electronics box weighs about 7kg.

Things left to do is to install a telemetry display on top of the box and to gain some space between the GD and the deck for max lean.

Part list:

MBS DW II deck
MBS hubs + 8" wheels
MBS Metal Matrix II
MBS bindings and heel straps
Boardnamics drivetrain metal/metal helical AT GD with 6384 170kV motors
DIY 20S4P Molicel 42A battery
Daly 20S smart BMS with phone APP
FS ASS 20S 300A
FS VX2 Pro RC
MakerX 20S 250A VESCs
Metr Pro
Water proof MFH box with cable management
*Telemetry display

More pics/vids and a review are coming after the weather gets better in Germany.

27 Likes

Damn!!!

What a beast of a board.

3 Likes

bro this is sick! Glad to not be all alone in 20s land. Come to NJ so @Brenternet and I can perform the ritual on you to complete the transition

4 Likes

Oh boi 20S at 170kv! Even with the 5.2 M1AT isn’t that like an 80km/h board?

4 Likes

Can’t wait to get some of your reviews on the MakerX
Love this build I also have a Warren jump build in the works :rofl:

4 Likes

Details details details!

1 Like

Just a lot of my used stuff that I Acquired from the forum it’s going to be a mixed mash of things but it’s going to get beat bad so it’s not going to be pretty but fun it will be
All the stuff on the Circa

12s5p 30q
Xenith
Used maytech 6374 140kv
Matrix atc mounts
15t72t pulleys for now :rofl:
but I love the Circa but it’s super flexi and rare made by never summer snowboard company :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Yes it is :grin:
I don’t like the sensation of hitting a wall when you reach max speed on an ESK8. On speeds over 60km/h it is dangerous too, since you always get a mini wobble when it happens. The more power you have left reaching top speed, the higher is that impact and more dangerous. So I like to gear my boards that way that I never hit that wall.

2 Likes

I haven’t really felt that before in normal eskate, only on rental scooters that have a software speed limit in place. I haaate the feeling of the artificial limit, but I was under the impression that the speed limit we usually get is just back EMF evening out with battery voltage. Maybe it’s just a speed thing, I don’t ride very aggressively at all or at high speeds so I might not have seen it

Could you elaborate on this bit? Is it like a stutter as the torque suddenly stops accelerating you but there’s still more torque available or what

1 Like

You don’t feel it on pre builds or lower powered boards because the last miles through reaching the top speed is in general very slow due to the air resistance and the acceleration curve is flatting out. This is why you almost never reach the free wheel spin speed on electric devices when you are actually riding them. but if you have 5kW+ and the board is geared for let’s say 50km/h top speed, you are reaching the top speed in under 5s which cuts off the still steep acceleration curve instantaneous. The sensation is like the motors lock for a fraction of a second. You can compare it with a car driving 50mph in the 3rd gear during a full acceleration and than going down into the 2nd gear instead of the 4th while you are still on full throttle.

If you are on the board not aware that you will reach the top speed and you don’t let the throttle off, you will face plant like somebody would smash your brakes at full speed without your knowledge.
That’s why I like to gear very powerful boards so high. You still have always and in every situation more than enough torque even If it’s for 100+km/h.

1 Like

Mahlzeit, woher aus Deutschland bist du? Komme aus Nrw. Baue mein Board grade um. Processing: 20210921_123015.jpg…

2 Likes