All-terrain E-freeboard

So I went and rode a hill on my freebord, much much rougher surface than normal, literally like the most gritty and steep road I could think of.
It was horrible, I would be riding in a straight line and the chatter on the rear wheel would feel like the wheel was entirely locking up for a 1/2 second.

The SBX style wide wheel and exposed large diameter slip rings combat this with the wide and softer wheel reducing the effects of road surface into castor rotation, as well as possibly the slip ring if well greased having an anti-chatter effect that really gets rid of high-frequency movement… compared to the FB5, not Marco Other’s spring directly contacting CAM design. What are your thoughts on the amount of slop in a castor CAM system?

Perhaps smart to remove the CAM and repeat the test with both FB5 and 5X see how much the effect changes.

hours later here is the video

4 Likes

I thought 105 mm tall wheel was pushing it for COG!

Can’t wait to try these. I think they’re going to be awesome but who knows. I need to hook them up with some chains and motors, any suggestions?

2 Likes

not the only failed Discovery Cloudwheel, Just be careful the cores still seem to be unreliable.
Donuts not great but may hold up better.

2 Likes

Agree, the core of the Cloud wheel might be a weak spot. I will have to look for other all-terrain options in that size.

3 Likes

I wanted to ask but also keep posts short… why not these? seem better in every way than Cloudwheels except rolling resistance possibly with the softer ones, cost and wearing out also but cloudwheels would go bald also.

1 Like

These look perfect, what diameter are they?

1 Like

115mm

2 Likes

50 hours later. Mr and Mrs molds. Today’s schedule: sanding and finishing.

6 Likes

Finally finished the press. Had to upgrade the bottle jacks to 10 ton each and add another spring. Also added two top shelves for gluing. Time for deck making.

6 Likes

if we can bring up the topic of motors, non hub that is, for a belt/chain/gear maybe drive.
Many designs need a ~50mm motor, which often means a 6mm shaft is what is commonly available. So whatever motor gear/pulley is used stocking 6 and 8mm bore would be really good.

Been searching for a chain drive solution for a smaller wheel (115-120mm), can’t say there’s a lot of them out there?!

1 Like

This is the plan for the deck. Three components: 200g Unidirectional Flax Fiber, 600g biaxial glass fiber and 3mm airplane graded plywood.

Made a test sample of the setup and it worked out fine. Two plywood veneers with glass fiber between then glass fiber combined with Flax fiber on the outer layers.

Unidirectional Flax really looks like wood.

I think I’m going to call it the Freeboard AIR deck.

5 Likes

About the shape. Probably going to go with a classic snowboard shape even if I love my old custom TIOEMM Jones flagship shape.

3 Likes

6 Likes

Hi gents, I’m new on this forum. Really interesting thread going on here… I’m working on a prototype to upgrade the casters to a 105mm wheel. I bought this SBX for cheap, it has a faulty ESC and battery. The project still needs a lot of work. I’ll make a post about it when it’s more complete and functioning OK.

5 Likes

Please show rocker pics lol. Looks like some part of the system needs biggened…

3 Likes

Yeah I know! Haha… the trucks gona need risers and a wider stance to work.

4 Likes

You want to explain how you are converting the rubber skate bearing wheel into a live axle wheel same as the sbx uses? Basically add shaft fix in place but more detail.

1 Like

To make it work (for now) I’ve ordered a 8mm d-shaft (150mm length) which will fit in the hub that drives the wheel like a normal longboard drive wheel setup. The shaft will be longer on 1 side to fit the wheel gear. I’m still searching for a > 50 teeth gear with 8mm d-shaft to compensate for the bigger wheel I’m using. For now I will use the standard 40t gear of the SB.

My biggest concern I’m thinking of at the moment is when I get it finished; will the SB caster bases hold the extra momentum of the whole thing??? What do you think??? If not than I’ll probably start working on a DIY caster with capsule slipring. I’ve ordered 2 already to toy around with.

Yesterday I finished printing the second caster setup… the rocker was INSANE! LOL Even more than I at first expected… It will definitely need risers / extended trucks or a lower caster base to function normal (bigger edge wheels are also an option, but is not my first choice).

So why I’m doing this?.. I live in the Netherlands and the roads around my block are not great for a normal SB… When I shred around the block with my normal setup SB I have to jump of a couple of times to get around pavement/ coble stones. I can go over but the whole riding experience sucks bigtime! I’ve tested the 105mm wheels on a longboard and it felt so much better! I also ride a onewheel (and soon a floatwheel :grin:) …

As I mentioned before It’s such a great thread here to read… good discussions. I get a lot of answers on stuff I’ve been asking myself about. Thanks Peter and everybody else for your contribution!

And sorry for the long answer… :wink:

3 Likes