Adjustable Stability [Storm of Brains]

Can you elaborate? possible sketch it up?

this is an option, flatter but nnot hollow.

Also, I suspect none of these are hollow all the way through. Probably just blind holes

maybe someone else can tell me. Im an EE and mechanics are just a hobby. But these docs are Fed grade encrypted

I’m not near any cad programs so yall gonna deal with my shitty phone sketch.

3 Likes

CAD or no CAD, that’s it!

1 Like

Yeah that’s more or less what I thought.

Hm. I wonder how hard it would be to seal it correctly. I have 0 experience with hydraulics

1 Like

Not hard at all, it only needs 2 sealing surfaces, inner and outer ring. Using standard quad hydraulic rings, it is only a 2 piece design. The quad rings will seat into grooves made into the body (which is lathe’d from 1 piece aluminum), the piston ring will just be a smooth aluminum cylinder. The body will have 1 hole for the hydraulic line.

The master piston is even simpler. Just 1 piston and 1 cylinder. Probably the size of half a sharpie marker.

Reference of a hydraulic brake cylinder off a bike. You can see how a small diameter, low profile piston can easily be made to work with very high leverage ratios

And keep in mind these can operate years under extreme conditions and heat with not much than a fluid change every couple years

3 Likes

I think this “Ring Piston” design is worth modeling in more detail. I spent 5 minutes making this model so don’t @ me.
@Fosterqc , what do you think? is this something you can cad up more appropriately.
Im doing fesability research rn. see what sort of pump mechanism is required

1 Like
Not this

Yes that is exactly it. The quad ring grooves would have to be modeled after sourcing an appropriate size and looking at their tolerance specs. I think only 1 hole would be needed for the banjo fitting, as we don’t need high oil flow here.

There would not be a pump mechanism needed, all we need is a simple plunger piston that is being pushed by a servo. This piston can either actuate both ring pistons (equal pressure on both kingpin) or 2 separate pistons 1 for each kingpin.

2 Likes

That’s a bit too complicated, you’re thinking of a recycling hydraulic system like on machines. Think of it more like a brake. 1 sealed plunger piston, 1 actuator (ring piston).

2 Likes

how much force is this really going to generate without any sort of boost? Last I checked motorcycles dont use boosters.

WEre you thinking of rigging this up to a hand held mechanical pump? like literally a break lever?

No, it’s based on surface area of the pistons. The ring piston is going to have a high surface area (lets say for guessing, the outer diameter of the ring piston is 25mm and the inner hole is 15mm. That gives us 2100mm squared of surface area. Now lets say there is an 8mm master cylinder piston, at 200mm squared surface area. That gives us over 10x pressure ratio. So if we have a linear worm gear servo capable of pushing 100 lbs, then there is half a ton of pressure at the kingpin.

Drop the master piston size down to 5mm, and now you have over 25x the pressure ratio. The math here is finding a reasonable size actuator, then sizing a piston size to give us the desired pressure at the kingpin

2 Likes

I see Ok,

let me sketch that system up

1 Like

Btw I just made up those numbers, I don’t know off the top of my head the diameter of a kingpin or bushings

2 Likes

I made this post a while ago, I never got around to it but there’s some information you can look at on it that might be of some help

2 Likes

are the magnitudes roughly on par?

Yes, hydraulics are cool that way, it works whether its as small as a bicycle brake or moving boulders with an excavator. Just simple leverage arm math.

2 Likes

what about this as a master (its a slave here)

Generally speaking this cylinders work both ways, its just about making the area ratios work ?

2 Likes