Adjustable Stability [Storm of Brains]

not really sure about that.

I just like this modification because anyone could do it with a hacksaw or you could do it super nice and easy with better tools if ya care.

gearbox seems simple to add as well. Could be integrated very cleanly.

Ohhh now I see! You just flipped the bolt! Ok

@Fosterqc will the nut got in the cavity that the bolt head previously had?

1 Like

no it gets locked with a plate like this

Although I’m thinking that it could be really hard to turn the kingpid due to the bore in the baseplate. Turning the nut and keeping the bolt still would be more reliable. (if it doesn’t get fucked by rocks)

1 Like

oh shit wait ur genius

fixed my prob before I even said it

idk when to stop cutting into this baseplate someone plz help

oh and pitting the pinion inside that cavity in the center would be cool I think.

1 Like

maybe this is a case for coaxial shafts who knows

I have a completely alternative solution to that for anyone interested

Instead of turning the kingpin with a nut, replace the nut with a very short travel hydraulic piston that compresses the bushings, of which the other side is connected to a master piston and a linear servo. The significant reduction of piston size can create high clamp pressures at the bushing while the staying properties of a linear servo will keep the compression consistent.

Basically like a hydraulic brake except the brake is clamping on the bushings and the brake pedal position is set by a servo

3 Likes

I had a similar idea with kinda hydraulically inflatable bushings. We are basically trying to “turn” the kingpin into a linear actuator

:joy_cat:

2 Likes

Yeah, i just thought my idea can be compatible with 99% of trucks by using an extended kingpin.

Imagine the actuator looking like a very thick bushing washer. A circular piston with a hollow center (the piston would look like a ring). This is stacked past the road side washer, then the nut is used to hold it in place and “preload” it to the minimum pressure. A hydraulic hose then routes into the enclosure where the servo is. Even in complete hydraulic failure, it will only drop to the pre-set compression level.

2 Likes

Still just brainstorming here.

That is definitely a great alternative. Are suitable hydraulics available?

Not likely, the activating piston will need to be custom CNC’d. but it is a small part. hoses and connectors can use industry standard banjo fittings

1 Like

Is this something you would diy? Seems a much more complex solution

It is as much DIY as the custom CNC trucks posted earlier I suppose.

1 Like

That could prove to be one of the most compact solutions yet. A tiny cylinder could drive this mechanism and provide for adjustment… it could even be an assembly that fits under a kingpin nut, so long as you can use a longer bolt.

1 Like

Hollow plunger cylinders are a thing

https://www.enerpac.com/en-gb/cylinders/GBCylindersHollowPlunger

2 Likes

Really this should be totally avoided. not a great thing at all

1 Like

Beautiful. We just need one with barely any stroke. What is the most that anyone ever compresses bushings?

1 Like

Can compress to 10 Tons.

2 Likes

Yes, those, except we don’t need nearly that long, as we only need travel within 5mm. Can easily be done with a lathe too, as it is a round part. The sealing surfaces can use standard quad rings for high pressure hydraulics. A lot of these parts can be taken from hydraulic bicycle brake suppliers. They use piston sizes very similar in diameter to a kingpin bushing.

3 Likes

We are going to use Krank Bushings , they respond best to varying tightness

2 Likes