Addressing the Achilles Heel - Meet the Improved BKB Xenith V2 🚨

Try this: turn off the vesc, unplug the remote, turn on vesc, then try to apply settings again.

Heh, I can just see this:

Student takes 2 months of motor theory classes. Is able to calculate copper density, kv, windings, winding thickness, saturation, torque, phase theory, etc, by HAND on an exam. Excited for the project! the REAL thing!
-clicks auto detect-

That’s it?!?!?!

5 Likes

How’d it go?

Someone pls help me fix ma VESC

Potter told me to put an XT90-s on it. I don’t think it’s gonna help.

2 Likes

Took the mini out today with the VX2. Much more manageable power with this remote, so I might keep the settings. I’ll open it in a few days after riding some more. Lost a hub screw on the first ride because the China factory only threadlocked one side.

The problem happened right after I switched to the VX2. Couldn’t update settings. I’m pretty sure it’s the culprit but I really don’t want to open this board every time I need to tone it down for someone else. I need speed profiles in a working Android app

2 Likes

It is sad that they told about that issue without specifying exactly what is wrong with the circuit. I will put my build probably this month and we will see how fast it will break.

They only mentioned that there is an issue with switch circuit. I will probably manage diagnose it and repair it but it is most likely blown LM5060 (I was wrong in my previous post).

You can replace it and Xenith should work again but it won’t solve the issue it might break again. I cannot find any schematics for Unity so that will make things harder but what’s important is thinking outside the box.

I looked at that issue, to be more precise, at images posed with blown up LM5060 and we can see that something burned/shorted at Supply voltage input side. Without any checking first what comes to my mind is to put TVS diode to protect LM5060 from overload but this is just a wild guess.

I think that this issue occurred only for people with 12S batteries.

As I mentioned before we can think outside of the box. They already fixed the issue in V2. Can someone take a picture around that area (high quality) so we can se what changed ?

2 Likes

These quite literally do nothing. The switch has never failed when plugging the battery in (if it has, it is an insignificant amount).

4 Likes

yeah only thing I changed is I hooked up a UART device, also I would add that my unit shut off while riding. When I tried to power it on I found it could no longer. I even have it on video.

Really looking forward to getting a clue on what to do about this, I was able to repair some 1.7 focbox so I hope I can fix this one too.

1 Like

this is news to me. does the resistor not limit the inrush current and fill the caps slowly?

2 Likes

will these be in stock again soon?

@BuildKitBoards

3 Likes

Just saw this on a distributors site.

Due to a Shortage of components at the factories, the Xeniths ESC won’t be back in stock until 2022

i wonder if that’s just for the distributor but BKB will still get their own stock?

3 Likes

I guess that helps my Focbox Unity sale … lol!

i don’t think it does in any way.

Selling older blood hardware (+ it’s from mboards) with several issues for more than it cost before the price of the blood unity got inflated to promote the new cheaper tenka.

3 Likes

Makes sense. Thanks for explaining.

I have a broken Xenith so if anyone has a repairable unit I would like to try messing with it.

Maybe send it to @JohnnyMeduse for repairr. Also, I have a focbox unity for sale. Just an FYI.

1 Like

I’m hearing it will be all xenith but I’ve got no real connection.

1 Like

Afraid not, they won’t be sold to individuals until next year. Sad face. I’d expect the same thing is going to happen to most other ESC’s

what do we think about the tenka?

is that a serious question?