A Different Type of Flux ----- 4WD TKP 6 Shooter

Final pics, story below

I started this build over a year ago in Feb 2020 when I bought a set of 6 shooters off @370HSSV . Didn’t know what to do with them at the time but I wanted them for something cool one day. Then I had to find out what to put them on. I wanted something slightly different from the masses so I began my planning…

After some thinking I got the hankering for a Lacroix style deck so when the Flux combos dropped I saw what I wanted at a really reasonable price and grabbed it a few months later from a member here.

I didn’t want Matrix II’s on here and since I had a set of 'Tiller mounts for SR tkp I thought it would be fun to use them with adjustable baseplates. Got another set off a friend so 4wd was in the works. Got another two wheel pulleys from VEX.

Battery had to be big enough to support 4wd and miles of range. Made a Molicel P42a 12s8p.

For the ESC’s I went with the TB esc as it was on sale at the time and buying 4 saved a good amount.

Took it for a short slow ride (need to tighten bushings) and now it’s on the charger. Good news it hasn’t blown up yet so I think we’re good. Who knows how long it will take to charge this thing at 6 amps!

Finished just in time for Carve PDX!

51 Likes

i, for one, love that lonely blue bolt, but this forums full of ocd.
nice build!!! now its time to tune it to perfection x)

edit: fix that griptape thats lifting before its too late.

4 Likes

:open_mouth: Didn’t know you were going! I really want to see this build IRL, I need to see it turn without wheel-bite to believe it :laughing:

I wonder how fast you can go on this before the death wobbles…

3 Likes

Nice build, Joe!
Im curious how angled TKPs ride.
Please let me know.
peace

1 Like

A lot of interesting things going on here :+1:. Good to see more 6355 size motors in 4wd on a narrower setup, makes more sense to me. This has got to be a unique riding experience. Wiring must be a nightmare

2 Likes

35° deck angles minus a 7° riser. I don’t know what angle the trucks are at, kinda just eyeballed as close as I could. Might fiddle with the angles on them. Haven’t had much of a go, but really Turney!

@Static wiring is a nightmare! If you’ve ever had to close the back side panel of a computer, that’s what this is like to screw the enclosure on!

6 Likes

I am just surprised you were able to fit 4 TB6 VESC in there, are you using a BMS?

I am going to put the heatsinked ESCs out in a case on the tail because I can’t fit the BMS and them in the enclosure which annoying.

1 Like

A small BMS on top of an esc yah. 4 big esc’s in one compartment is doable but not easy!

4 Likes

Is there any risks of shorts with the BMS setting on top of stuff like this?

I don’t think so. The BMS is rubbery plastic on the bottom and the TB esc has a nice top that has no electrics on it aside from the USB port

3 Likes

Are you using anything like hot glue or tape to keep it from moving around?

1 Like

yeah once you snap that off it’s pretty damn compact!

2 Likes

I don’t think it is in this thread yet, what is the on/off solution for this board? looks like a XT90S key would fit in that top case.

2 Likes

Compression of the overfilled enclosure. So it’s sandwiches to the deck by wires and esc’s. Never heard any rattling on my short ride.

@Fosterqc miami boards antispark between the esc’s leading up to the he box on the back with a switch.

2 Likes

Nice build. I think this is the first time I’ve seen TKP trucks on a Flux. Are you going to be riding it this weekend? If so, looking forward to seeing it in person.

1 Like

Yep! If the battery charges enough that is. Kinda stopped charging at 3.8 cell voltage… Was 3.5 before charging. Might have to crack it open to see what’s up but I have it on the charger idling in case the BMS is just balancing and cut charging for some reason.

I’ll be bringing my MTB too but that has bigger problems. Namely power cut outs with no shown faults.

Maybe someone will have an idea while I’m up there.

I start driving up at 3am tomorrow! 8-9 hour drive.

4 Likes

That’s odd. Are you able to configure the BMS settings?

And dang, that’s quite the long haul tomorrow. Hope you have a safe drive! I won’t be able to join up with you guys until Saturday morning. See you then.

3 Likes

dude.
I love this thing.

I wish I could try it.

I hope there is video of the way it turns soon.

also, seriously? how the hell did you do the wiring to the motors?
are you running it sensored?

3 Likes

I’ll snap a pic of the insides and get vids when it’s running. Just got home from CARVE PDX so I’ll check out the batt this week.

Had a great time!

4 Likes

awesome!!!

2 Likes