80100 Motor kv decision

Forgive me this derail on a small detail. Does Vedders gear hold up on 4pole motors?

I understand how to calc ERPM. I know, I’ll back and read the intro walk through on vescs, but in practice, does anyone get real world performance out of them on the in runner side of the house ? Or are current and voltage the limiting reagent?

1 Like

Yea in practise thats what i have heard :frowning:
What do you find to be the best motors for street/AT?

4x 6374s, 240kvs. I can take moestooge on a straight sprint.

(On what ever detunning he was running for the 0.7 mile course in Lancaster :grimacing:)

“Best” I assume you mean stupid fast sprint. My efficiency is probably not great

2 Likes

I‘m personally very happy with my modified 6384 170kV APS motors.
I think the TB 6380 are similar and a good choice if you need 8mm shaft.

2 Likes

I have two APS 80100, didn’t use them yet, though. I will epoxy rotor and stator and I think I will keep the bearings for now. APS said the quality improved in the motors I have.
Both motors are 80kv actually, so pretty low. But I had them from another project and I am aiming more for torque than speed anyway.
Quality wise I can’t tell anything about them because I don’t know how exactly a good quality motor looks like. The shaft doesn’t have the same width all along, other than that the motor seems fine.

1 Like

I can make some comparisons soon.

Here is the post you are regarding at. https://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/changing-to-80mm-motors/84823/75

You are confusing with 6880 which are no upgrades to 6374/80/84. 8085 are indeed an upgrade.

Do the bearings worn off so fast?

There are kevlar/carbon belts out there which can handle the power.

Can you open them and take some pictures please?
The shaft is 12mm wide.

@Chricious I have opened both. What are you interested in (in particular)?

Size of magnets, stator, bearing :slight_smile:
If you have also a 6374/84 a size comparison would be nice.

has anyone tested/used APS 63100’s? it sounds like 63100 is the better option over 80100?

I have their 6384’s right now in 200kv and have only had one issue which they fixed (took over a month and a lot of following up, but they fixed it).

Their 63100 is sensorless

shyt, I remember now, I asked APS about this about a year ago. I was like how much would it be for 63100 sensored in a custom 180kv with 8mm shafts, they said something like $160 per motor and that it would take 2 to 3 months to be delivered.

No I’m not.
I mean it how I wrote it.
8085 with bearing are no big updates compared to 63100 motors.
I think I posted this already multiple times, but…
6384 vs 8085

3 Likes

@Brently you can get the 63100 from one of the companies above as well. With sensors and custom kV without big waiting time and big extra costs. Custom shaft diameter is usually the thing which really add up costs.

1 Like

@Chricious these are the pictures I have at hand right now.

Bearings are 3x 6801 and one 6809. Shaft is 12mm as you said, but with quite some tolerance (11.91 - 11.95 mm).
Magnets are 50x10mm. In the newer motor they seem to be glued well, in the other not so much. Needs epoxy.

2 Likes

I apologize. Thought it was 6880.

Why bothering with 63100 motors when you can get 6396 from Maytech? I think they’re the best deal in high performance ESK8 motors ATM.

@Benjo thank you!

I am not 100% convinced about the maytech 6396.

That 96mm length has a lot of padding.

The front bearing, the giant bearing nut on the rear of the stator, the flared can and the can nipple contribute zero to the actual power output of the motor.

What matters is the stator length. I wonder what it is, because it doesn’t look much larger than the TB6380.

3 Likes

Not sure on that part…

Plus the hole pattern which doesn’t fit our usual 63xx mounts

1 Like

For reference the top is the stator from an APS 6384 motor and the bottom is from a TB6380.

Looking at this
The 6396 might have 3-5 mm over the 6380. Maybe.

3 Likes

I have been using the APS 80100 180kv on my build for about 4 months now, working spectacular so far. They sure consume more power than 63xx sized motors. I went from 18wh/km to about 25wh/km when I upgraded from 6384 to 80100, gear drive in both applications. The crazy torque is just to damn fun for me to go back to 63xx.

I do recommend a proper battle harden and extra insulation for the phase wires before you put the motors to use.

7 Likes