80100 Motor kv decision

I’m interested in testing 80100 motors.
APS has 130kv and 180kv available. Any suggestions which one would be more versatile on 16T motor pulley and 150mm-200mm wheels? Didn’t decide for wheel pulleys yet though.

1 Like

Generally higher kv runs better if you don’t have eprm issues…I’d say 180 unless you really like torque. I mean it’ll probably test at a slightly lower kv anyways

Also this

2 Likes

Higher motor rpm are more efficient at these sizes.

2 Likes

Higher kv would be better with correct reduction. Assuming 8 inch tires and a 72t pulley I get estimate 38mph. If you want a lower top speed or can’t get that reduction i would go lower kv or somewhere in between.

2 Likes

What do you mean by reduction?
There is unfortunately nothing in between available.
For the beginning I think I will go with 160mm 62T wheels/pulleys.
So I think I will go the 180kv version.

1 Like

Ive been looking to get some insight on Motors, is APS a good one to order from, or are there better options? I keep hearing differing opinions regarding several of the manufacturers beside maybe TB and MayTech.

1 Like

He means wheel pulley to motor pulley ratio in this case higher is better I think.

1 Like

Yeah what @Tamatoa said. Bigger wheel pulley is better in theory. You need to take into account you have enough ground clearance and enough teeth in mesh (Not an expert here, Should be fine as ive seen both 16/60 on 6" and 16/72 on 8" used)… I think APS makes custom KV

1 Like

6374 size motors are so last year…

4 Likes

Forget about 80xxx motors if you plan to go with belts. Ok there is one way. 25mm belts with idlers but your drag will have a good influence your range. This plus 80xxx motors general, so I hope you not aiming for longer rides than.

1 Like

If you order from aps you should know how to beef up the motors.
Unfortunately there not too much 80xx motor producer out there. They all more or less get there motors from a handful of different factories which all not really great regarding quality.

3 Likes

Never bought from APS but was discouraged by some negative comments about their motors before buying Maytechs.

3 Likes

Maytechs not getting better as well.
There quality vs price isn’t as good as they have been 2years ago. Unfortunately.

2 Likes

The thing is you don’t have much choice. The established ones are Maytech, Flipsky, TB and APS. Maytech and TB have a very good reputation, FS had some QC problems in past but now it seems that they’re improved and APS hat a lot of problems in the past especially with smaller motors. So If you don’t want to get exotic you need to go with on of those 4.

2 Likes

That’s why i end up buying stuff from everyone in the end lol. I doubt I will even abuse mine to the point of failure anyways but there is this weird need to always try to buy the one I find is the most rugged.

1 Like

Yes but I don’t like to wait 3 month for customizing. I just want to test some big motors and they have 180kv in stock and 130kv in available in 3 weeks.

Yeah, I kinda figured as much. Id have loved to get into the MayTech GB for 140/150kv motors but alas the non-standard mounting design is a killer for wanting to also run Moon Drives. I guess Ill just have to stick with TB since i run them now and havent had any issues with them.

I just recall seeing horror stories about APS motors being marked XXYYY where YYY is actually not the advertised size internally (getting shortchanged on the copper/inductance potential).

Edit: To clarify I know the dimensions are external i mean to say getting a 6374 in a 6390 can, etc etc.

You mean they are on backorder? :sweat_smile:
Order from China better.
Believe me I made my experience there.
Even if you asked them via mail. There 3 weeks can easy spread up to 3 month.
You can get those motors for the same price with the kV you want in one week production plus shipping as well.
The only downside is that you don’t get any warrenty. I mean you get, but you will very likely need to pay shipping which will be half of the motor price than.
One more plus from China, you can get them with temp sensors as well. Aps comes without temp sensor.

2 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion. Maybe I rethink my decision to buy from APS. Do you have a reliable source from China for that kind of motors?

1 Like

We have the 6396, they are sweet indeed. But we always like to test and compare alternatives, so we can provide the best quality possible to our friends.

1 Like