80100 Motor kv decision

shyt, I remember now, I asked APS about this about a year ago. I was like how much would it be for 63100 sensored in a custom 180kv with 8mm shafts, they said something like $160 per motor and that it would take 2 to 3 months to be delivered.

No I’m not.
I mean it how I wrote it.
8085 with bearing are no big updates compared to 63100 motors.
I think I posted this already multiple times, but…
6384 vs 8085

3 Likes

@Brently you can get the 63100 from one of the companies above as well. With sensors and custom kV without big waiting time and big extra costs. Custom shaft diameter is usually the thing which really add up costs.

1 Like

@Chricious these are the pictures I have at hand right now.

Bearings are 3x 6801 and one 6809. Shaft is 12mm as you said, but with quite some tolerance (11.91 - 11.95 mm).
Magnets are 50x10mm. In the newer motor they seem to be glued well, in the other not so much. Needs epoxy.

2 Likes

I apologize. Thought it was 6880.

Why bothering with 63100 motors when you can get 6396 from Maytech? I think they’re the best deal in high performance ESK8 motors ATM.

@Benjo thank you!

I am not 100% convinced about the maytech 6396.

That 96mm length has a lot of padding.

The front bearing, the giant bearing nut on the rear of the stator, the flared can and the can nipple contribute zero to the actual power output of the motor.

What matters is the stator length. I wonder what it is, because it doesn’t look much larger than the TB6380.

3 Likes

Not sure on that part…

Plus the hole pattern which doesn’t fit our usual 63xx mounts

1 Like

For reference the top is the stator from an APS 6384 motor and the bottom is from a TB6380.

Looking at this
The 6396 might have 3-5 mm over the 6380. Maybe.

3 Likes

I have been using the APS 80100 180kv on my build for about 4 months now, working spectacular so far. They sure consume more power than 63xx sized motors. I went from 18wh/km to about 25wh/km when I upgraded from 6384 to 80100, gear drive in both applications. The crazy torque is just to damn fun for me to go back to 63xx.

I do recommend a proper battle harden and extra insulation for the phase wires before you put the motors to use.

7 Likes

They updated it. Now it has standard 63mm mounting holes

1 Like

That’s good news.
What about the phase wire routing? It’s still like before?

Yeah, that is the same I believe.

1 Like

did you get them sensored?

APS sell them with hall sensors as well, but without temp sensor. As minimum that’s how they came last time.

I can confirm, after I had a long discussion with them. Also the cable routing it’s on it’s way to improve. We will also find a solution for the nipple. At least for our custom version.

The 6396 has about 500W more than the TB6380, thats it. On dual drive it’s still 1KW difference.

The lack of a temp sensor in the APS is kind of a deal breaker for me…
We will try do improve the 6396 further. So far I think the a proper designed 63100ish motor is still the best way to go.

1 Like

Yes I got the sensored version. It does lack temp sensors though, which is kinda annoying. The motors does actually get hotter than any 63xx motors that I’ve used. I usually run them at 100 motor amps to save some power and even then they tend to pick up a lot of heat. Previously I used the APS 8085 aswell and those gets really hot, burned through the phase wire insulation and shorted one of the motors.

1 Like

@Chricious I hope you understood that the Watt rating is relative and doesn’t tell if a motor is really „stronger“ than an other one.
It’s a bit like C-rating on lipos. Just depends on which amps and voltage the factory advertised there motor.

2 Likes

I agree. But when you compare the size of the motors, it looks plausible that it has those 500W more. We would need to test it though under same conditions.

Without to measure I would say 6380/84 than about 50-52mm. That tops out in max 5mm more stator length.

So yap a side by side real life comparison would be great.

2 Likes