6389 x 8 | quad unity/stormity | 12s/18s tattu | RedEmber 44

If someone else is equivocating about quitting,I’d guilt trip the fuck out of them.

“Buddy, go be fast as you can. We love it. Don’t lie to yourself, we know you will always come back.

Anyways, cool guy, you do you, we will be here as usual arguing about which color is fastest. Go adult for a bit.”

Idiot

5 Likes

I was restless over the Memorial Day weekend.

I noticed that have 7 or 8 unity focboxes. If I’m being stupid here, (and I am) I might as well do supersingle X8.

@b264 I need to check your GitHub and see the state of this firmware.

@jaykup i need a few weeks to find, rewire, and package the unitys. I might send you one for repair (Antispark problems I suspect, magic smoke intact tho) and the rest for inspection.

I have the enclosure space (think double decker bus but dumber) and mounting solutions.

8 vs 4 unitys is a trivial change. It’s a weekend of soldering. There is a nontrivial amount of capacitors in this proposed circuit.

I can’t remember why I thought this, but I suspected voltage spikes and induction/capacitance fuckery were what cause the daily drv errors when I pushed the supersingle 4x build even medium hard. I didn’t have those issues with a regular, two unity, 4wd set up, using similar total wattage.

I was diligent in battery to esc lead lengths. I’ll post pics/diagrams of how short the leads were. Apologies for lack of metr data and nonexistent formal EE education.

Not looking forward to constructing a good 8 to 9 node canbus cable.

Open to opinions and notes from actual, amateur, or armchair electrical engineers concerning feasibility of that many esc’s and wiring in a supersingle config.

If this is real dumb (and it is), I’ll shut up and go back to coloring and work on the mechanical drive train. I still think belts are a fail.

6 Likes

I think you should also go 13s for fun

1 Like

Fuck yeah.

Don’t you dare.

2 Likes

@rosco, @Skyart i don’t mean to overshare here, but i was recently diagnosed with ‘Relapsing fuck-around-and-find-out-itis’. The doctors say it’s related to a common, benign condition called, ‘do-it-for-science”, but it’s chronic, maladaptive, and contagious. They tell me the forums have been shown to cause symptom flares and is a hotbed for codependent behavior (whatever that means).

I was given info for a support group in this vicinity, but it doesn’t feel right:

My therapist tried to trick me into a ride to group sessions, but I declined. What even is this?

I have made some progress though. I have learned to accept or ask for the help of others that have also suffered from this conditions, especially if their symptoms were related to CNC fab, SMD soldering, or anything firmware related. Given my condition, i might not survive another rabbit hole.

For now, I’m going to supplement with Ivermectin and crayons, I will post when I have substantive updates.

8 Likes

… but I really want to see a board with 8 motors on it…

Finding some like minded conspirators is a good idea though (I’ll keep my eyes peeled for you)

Keep me updated

High P batteries is so last year, high Series count batteries is now, high P motors is THE FUTURE!!!

2P4WD

1 Like

Dual AWD but it’s drone motors, fast as fuck

I’m not doing belts.

12 Likes

Resubscribed

7 Likes

lmao you use shapr too :joy:

Yeah, i know i should use something like onshape.

those gears look like they don’t have enough engagement on the teeth, at least with the motor holes looking like they’re lined up with the non adjustable mount holes

Yeah, I’m off a mm.

8 Likes

lookin good tho! hope it works out :yum:

1 Like

We gonna find out in 81 minutes.

3 Likes

Track only build… where we’re goin we don’t need no stinkin clearance

6 Likes

Speaking of clearance, do helical (herringbone, double helical) gears mesh visually look the same as straight cut?

You don’t set mesh by appearance. Paper shim between and feel right?

Also, happen to know moons tooth pitch of the top of ur head?

Edit, Mod 2 I guess, does @3DServisas also use mod 2 on older gen fatboynanos with yellow POM?

3 Likes

I’ve never done a paper shim on straight or helical, just find the tightest spot in the mesh and give that the smallest gap i can :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

Good, fuck it, we’ll do it live then.

4 Likes