44 Demonseed aka “DemonSpeed”

With a name like DemonSpeed, I thought for sure 16S would be on the table :rofl:

1 Like

You aren’t wrong if I didn’t already have 3 12s chargers and two different top quality 12s capable ESC’s I would be going HV fo shizzle @jack.luis has almost convinced me to at least make it 13s

1 Like

Guys I’m getting weak I started looking a Ubox’s and 100D’s

I never thought I’d go above 12s… is there a best option? I found a 100d for less than retail do I just go with that?

16s6p aka 67.2v feels like it fits with the whole DemonSpeed name now that @b264 has thrown the gauntlet

7 Likes

3 Likes

The best option is a tried and true setup that 100 people have run before you and all the bugs are worked out.

But with a name like DemonSpeed, I thought that wasn’t the direction you were heading in LOL

Nothing wrong with wanting a skate that works well and is more resistant to breaking down or being super expensive or taking a long time to complete. In that case, use “common options” like 12S, belt drive, etc etc. For those who like skating more than repairing.

2 Likes

Technically 18s lipo is the blessed voltage

3 Likes

This is usually my approach but as you have pointed out a monicker like this needs some spice. Idk about tried and true but there’s some jabroni blasting around on a 18s proto with the 100d on FB. If I give her active cooling I feel like it’ll all be ok.

Feel and know are different tho… im going to sleep on it but I’m now leaning toward the 16s

1 Like

Lol, definitely Morgan, he’s prolific :rofl:

2 Likes

Props to the guy for putting it together thing looks fun as fuck. I will never sell my last remaining proto. And yeah it’s a whole lotta content for a single build :joy:

2 Likes

I’m not even on FB… His reach knows no bounds!

3 Likes

Update on some decisions that have been made and a progress update that is actually a step back(don’t ya love those?)

First and foremost battery update. After much thought, debate, and decisions made on a payday, I’ve decided to go with a 16s8p. (Then I bought a 18s5p instead) So I’ve ordered the below, stormy is off FB marketplace gotta deal on her.

Now to continue to blow up my intended motor plans. I test fitted dual 6384’s and confirmed they fit real nice:

My problems: had either 170kv or 200kv APS 6384’s in my hoard to chose from. But first I needed to fix one of them in each set. On the 200kv jawns I just needed to install a shaft that had been milled down to 8mm and on the 170kv I just need a new can b/c I had cracked the magnets.

So new can shows up for 170kv and it doesn’t match the old:

This is the old:

So talked to APS and they confirmed they changed their design and don’t have the old. The reason it won’t fit is due to the new designs axle holder being longer than the old, thus it hits the bearing to early. APS says this can be remedied by taking it to a fabricator and having them grind it down a bit. Sure this is true, and something I’ll likely do/have done but that still leaves me with two motors’s cans that don’t match. Ain’t nobody got time for that on a build I’m now apparently spending money on.

On to the 200kv issues, motor shaft went in no prob with a little coaxing.

However upon detection I get a horrible screaming noise and can’t figure out why. It detected fine twice but then when I went to spin up the motors with throttle it started screaming. Then wouldn’t detect after that.

Plus now that I’m going 16s I feel like 200kv’s might be a little high. I want 150kv to 170kv ideally.

My thoughts are:
Pulling the 6384’s that match the new can design off my 4wd flux and making it 2wd - that’s no fun I wana keep the flux 4wd and I feel like the motors on this build should have temp sensors. APS doesn’t have those.

Buying some flipsky 6384’s because theyre still on sale and just limiting the erpm via programming also not that fun but reasonable.

What I really want are some 16s+ rated motors that are 170kv and between 6374 and 6390 but I can’t seem to find anything like that, that’s currently available. So motors are officially the last off the shelf part I need for this build.

More weekend pics:

Thinking I can get away with this 16s8p layout, xenith used for mock up purposes-

I also hooked up a 10s5p 25r pack I have to the one 200kv motor for a quick test spin this weekend. Had no balls but this deck/truck set up should be quite fun once I get some speed in her.

12 Likes

So you bought the SC? When are we gonna brainstorm my mans

2 Likes

yessir and can’t today but we should at somepoint this week. I have thoughts/questions about the battery - potentially thinking splitting the enclosure into two levels so the BMS and ESC can sit in their own tier. I’m worried I’m going to hit motor mounts if the enclosure is long enough to lay the ESC and batt flat. even if the batt is double stacked

the rest of the cells won’t be here till early Feb

1 Like

We can mock this up in CAD :call_me_hand:

1 Like

How’s the build coming along @Brently? Have you figured out the enclosure yet? This thing is going to be sick!!

2 Likes

slowly amassing final parts its about to get real in about a week!

Bought Art’s 18s5p p42a pack and century 40 enclosure he had for sale. It gets here next Monday, gunna need to do some finessing to get the enclosure to work but should fiiiiiineee. If not back to the drawing board but all parts are either in the mail or in my possession to get her going.

edit - all those tesla cells I had for this are going toward a ebike build. Between that and this and my e30 projects spring/summer is gunna be dope.

2 Likes

currently deciding between 170kv or 190kv motors to start. Now that I’m going 18S I feel like I should start with the 170’s but we shall see.

@b264 suh duh? I can take it I promise ha

I think go 170. I couldn’t bring myself to max my 140s lol, but yall have bigger man bits then I do, so maybe go 190

1 Like

na I’m just being a size queen with this build. I usually don’t pass 30-33 on my most stable boards

1 Like