3D printables for esk8

It will be when the design is mature. But def still a work in progress.

V1 on the left in PETG. As I guessed, the details were way too small. I got carried away with a ton of tiny features. Turns out even at 0.10mm layer height, you can’t have 0.10mm gaps and details.

It did go together, which was a success, but wayyy too much friction to effective open and close. Everything was so tight it just stuck in place. Very robust, but not usable. Also, it required some weird print orientations and lots of support.

V2 on the right. I retooled it to eliminate roofs/ceilings that might require support, and so it could be printed laying down to maximize strength in the cantilever slider/snap arms (i.e. horizontal, full-length layers).

It’s got 0.20mm clearance gaps between all parts and slides verrry nicely, very satisfyingly forward and back click-slide-click. Everything is a little thicker. No support required. Maybe just a brim.

V3 TBD. Will probably tighten up the gaps a bit to 0.15mm to see if that provides the perfect clearance. Need to add back a full-open indicator somewhere. Need to deepen the XT90 pockets. Might add a finger ring - I forgot how hard it is to pull XT90s apart.

20 Likes