3-Link Truck Designs

I’d say the biggest reason is poor execution.
Many of the “Innovative designs” were never meant to be any more than a gimmick.

Coming up with ideas has always been the easy part of design.

2 Likes

Offtopic but . . . I once built my own set of Revo style trucks back when I was at school probably 15 years ago now. Cast the aluminium parts myself and turned the axles.

Come to think of it, this was probably my first ever DIY board, even vacuum bagged the deck myself.

16 Likes

dkp and tkp also seem the simplest so far. easy to manufacture keeps prices down and margins up. Straight forward design won’t wear of break. and once you have incumbency… well then its easy

@evoheyax Am I right in understanding you will be making a purchasable version of your design ? I have been interested in something like this for a high speed build

3 Likes

That is a legit DIY build.

6 Likes

So RKP?

3 Likes

yes sorry. I meant RKP and TKP mostly but really all king pin designs share those traits to some extend

Chris Chaput made a video on these trucks a few days ago.

1 Like

Channel trucks seem easiest to produce if we are talking precisions?

3 Likes

Have a link?

really? cause those brackets for sure require more steps than just the hanger with a hole in it and a bolt.

aren’t you the machinist?

2 Likes

https://www.youtube.com/user/chrischaput/videos

1 Like

I dunno ive seen some super crude channel trucks out there

Look at these ride flame ones for example

6 Likes

Hahahahaha, found one of the designs we did back in the Silverfish days on Wackyboards:

by riptide

The Ackerman!

16 Likes

If we are linking random stuff now look at this

Didnt someone here want to adjust angles on fly/automatically?

The name didnt age well…

17 Likes

interesting Brad!

any idea when this was posted?
you might even call this a 3-link truck…
albeit highly crude compared with @MoeStooge’s concepts

9 Likes

http://dynamiclabsllc.com/

I haven’t seen this before

1 Like

9 Likes

I did, thats super dope. I wonder if anybody makes those

2 Likes

Not really a 3 link at all, the axle travel is locked in place by the bushing seat and pivot cup, so the only thing the linkages can do is tilt the wheels. And that’s supposed to be an ackerman design.

If you were to remove the pivot cup and give it a solid axle without the hinges, I think it would function like a 3 link.

1 Like

I can argue the fact if you care… But I don’t care to… I’m after “instances of prior art” of 3 link trucks… Since you have a greater grasp of the realm, do you know of any 3-link skateboard trucks pre-SRB? 2016ish, or would you consider @MoeStooge to be the “inventor” of the three-link truck?

1 Like