24s All-in-one BMS Protection Board -MKBMS

@Maxkgoesk8 there are some subtle differences between li-ion and lifepo4 charging/discharging, including differences in nominal and charged voltages. Will this be wired the same for a 24s li-ion battery as well as a 24s lifepo4? Sometimes there are differences between li-ion and lifepo4 BMS but I’m admittedly too dumb to understand. Perhaps you and some others with more knowledge (ahem cough @Battery_Mooch ) can chime in on this? :pray:

1 Like

Hi whaddys,
There is no difference for wiring. But the charging and discharging current and voltage of li-ion and lifepo4 should be set differently in the BMS tools according to the data given by the battery vendor.

2 Likes

Welcome to come and have a look!

2 Likes

Hi whaddys,
Today I see this FAQ page about LiFePO4 and Li-ion, I want to share it with you. Hope it will be a little helpful for your understanding.

1. Is LiFePO4 the same as lithium ion?
    Not at all! The LiFePO4 battery has a cycle life of over 4x that of lithium ion polymer batteries.

2. Can LiFePO4 catch fire?
    LiFePO4 batteries are the safest of the lithium batteries, because they will not catch fire, and won’t even overheat. Even if you puncture the battery it will not catch fire. This is a massive upgrade over other lithium batteries, which can overheat and catch fire.

3. Is LiFePO4 better than lithium ion?
    The LiFePO4 battery has the edge over lithium ion, both in terms of cycle life (it lasts 4-5x longer), and safety. This is a key advantage because lithium ion batteries can overheat and even catch fire, while LiFePO4 does not.

4. Why is LiFePO4 so expensive?
    LiFePO4 batteries are usually more expensive on the front end, but cheaper long term because they last so long. They cost more up front because the materials used to build them are more expensive, but people still choose them over other batteries because of the many advantages LiFePO4 has over other batteries. For example, they’re much lighter than lead acid and many other battery types, they’re much safer, they last longer, and require no maintenence.

5. Is LiFePO4 a lipo?
    No. Lifepo4 has a number of distinct advantages over Lipo, and while both are lithium chemistries, they are not the same.

6.What can I use LiFePO4 Batteries for?
You can use LiFePO4 batteries for the same things you’d use lead acid, AGM or other traditional batteries for. For example, you can use them to power bass boats and other marine toys, RVs, solar setups, mobility scooters, and much more.

7.Is LiFePO4 more dangerous than AGM or lead acid?
Nope. It’s actually quite a bit safer, and for a number of reasons, including the fact that LiFePO4 batteries don’t leak toxic fumes or spill sulfuric acid like many other batteries like lead acid, and like we mentioned earlier, they don’t overheat or catch fire.

8.What is the life expectancy of LiFePO4 batteries?
Life expectancy is one of the biggest perks, if not the biggest perk of LiFePO4. Our lithium batteries are rated to last around 5,000 cycles. That is, 10 years or so (and often more), depending on usage of course. Even after those 5,000 cycles, our LiFePO4 batteries can still function at 70% capacity. And better still, you can discharge past 80% without a single issue. (Lead acid batteries tend to gas out when discharged past 50%.)

3 Likes

All good info :+1:

1 Like

This is false.
LFP (LiFePO4) cells can easily overheat, the same as any other li-ion chemistry, if run too hard. If severely abused they can also go into thermal runaway and vent with toxic smoke and other nasty combustion byproducts. It is true though that they almost never catch fire.

While LFP cells are harder to force into thermal runaway and the reactions aren’t nearly as violent if a LFP cell does go into runaway (both very good things) we still need to exercise caution when using them.

Their cycle life can be much longer than some other li-ion chemistries, if the LFP cells were made well, but that comes at the expense of running at a lower voltage and lower energy density (low capacity for the size).

Like any li-ion cell, you need to choose the chemistry and particular cells that best fit the application. None of them will be the best for everything.

9 Likes

You have much more experience in battery field. Thank you for the correction. Good job :+1:

2 Likes

:rofl::rofl: @Battery_Mooch I was gonna tag you to proof this info but i figured you’d make your way over

1 Like

Is the back of the aluminum enclosure smooth ? Anything protruding? No pictures were shown of the back which I could find. Also, what is the recommended mounting method? I see no screw holes through the enclosure.

Hi there, good day~
Yeah, The back is as smooth as the following picture.

It does mount with screw. Here is the video, you may have a look.

Thank you~

2 Likes

Hi, 10% off BMS boards right now. Here are the product links for friends who need it:

2 Likes

Can I get help with parameters on setting up my 12s ssmini? I tried updating to ennoid 5.4 and had a lot of issues and went back to the default 5.2. But, I keep receiving an error on boot and it goes to power off mode.

Thank you! :pray:

1 Like

1 Like

:weary::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::man_shrugging:

Frustrating customers are here asking for support.

After alerting Cell hard/soft voltage with Code plug on board shipped from the manufacture 1.4, using DieBie downloaded from maxkgo web site. MAXKGO-SS BMS 12s no work anymore farking.

Great to see a pop up box message on DieBie (BMS interface OS) , upgrade FW before using. All well and great if FW .bins are included in the BMS tools. Or just the fact BMS tool communicate not seeing the BMSMINI12 ?

So I went ahead and altered Cell hard/soft after waiting for advise from maxgo a month ago and still waiting for a response. What happens next ERROR11, Bingo bango !

Like to know how you locate the correct code plug FW for the BMSMINI12 as I cant find the correct bin in MaxkGo-BMS-Firmware-master folder. Is it ENNOID SS ? as that was the first FW flash I tested followed by ENNOID 24s. ERROR code 12. Roll back to MaxkGo .bin Error code 11.

Why link github for firmware updates on maxkgo product and description page designed for DEVS and just make things simple with with firmware updates from maxkgo web site download section.

To top things off in my haste, frustration, diagnose and testing balance wiring and so on… Removed the DC V supply feed from the BMS and dropped the lead shorting across the the terminal doing in a reverse protection diode in.
No issue, bring out the Hakko hit air gun, take out the transient diode and removing relocating another from the PCB so I can fire the BMS back up.
Cross referring the component with ENNOID-BMS-SS via KiCad schematic it maybe a unidirectional SMCJ150A . Emailed maxkgo to verify and one month passes by again.

Not having a go at anyone. lesson learned spend a few couple extra 100 for a commercial product that is past development stages. Reminds me of early stages of Ubiquity vs Cambium.
At $400 AU for a BMS one would think bugs have been ioned out before release, because at $700 I can shop local for a MIL spec BMS with customer support.

Sure it’s fun playing around with open source and contributing. Time is money and at a stage thinking what to do with this product and rather not SM32 reboot header the thing.

Not having a go at anyone, this BMS is a great concept, Nice build, good quality control in PCB and components / soldering.

Customer support need improvement.

2 Likes

1 Like

Thanks ,

It’s like the MCU glitched after altering these settings below. Reverting to factory settings makes no difference and trying a combination of FW flashes with balancing wires connected and disconnected will not clear the fault.

FAULT_CODE_MAX_UVP_OVP_ERRORS = 11
FAULT_CODE_MAX_UVT_OVT_ERRORS = 12

I wonder if the communicate tool fully supports the BMSMINI12 hardware ?

Keep us updated as I’m thinking about replacing the balancing IC.

2 Likes