20s Little FOCers on stooge SRB v5#1 comparing to Castle based SRB v5#3

Where are people finding the PID controls for current control on vesc? I kinda wanna try messing around with it too.

1 Like

this is what @Tony_Stark ended up tuning.

I know it says Speed PID, but i have been assuming it means current in current control mode. And was hoping to dig in vesc forums/discord or the code to confirm that.

2 Likes

I have ridden it once. only a couple laps. was getting used ot it. It wasn’t dramatically obvious that it was more powerful. which was what i expected. I think i didn’t ride it enough.

1 Like

I’m jumping in!

2 Likes

since you’re doing robotics you may have a feel for the 3 params of pid already. but for posterity I liked this video as an explainer.

3 Likes

v5#1(vesc) and Gialong at Race-N-ride

photo credit: lyfe_of_jimmy

6 Likes

Gialan again on v5#1(vesc)

photo credit: lyfe_of_jimmy

4 Likes

so I want to apologize to followers of this thread. I seem to have fallen out of the game.

It’s probably all a combination of Brandon (Redbeard) quitting, I2s not happening at the Dam in a while with only the secret night session happening which I often can’t make, a kidney stone, the flu, and some people in esk8 just being shitty and removing the fun from things. I’m not even planing on going to esk8con just not excited for the drama.

At the moment this project feels like other projects now that i never get back to. hopefully I will.

it sucks because i really wanted to push these learnings further. and I wanted to try and set some good drag times on the vesc board I was just getting comfortable with it.

2 Likes

Hoping for speedy recoveries through the health issues dude. Not having I2S is definitely a big bummer, idk if it’s cause y’all getting a bunch of rain similar to us up north. We’ve had to postpone I2S a number of times now.

But don’t be bummed by the rest man, don’t let others bring you down. You know your intentions and the intentions of those around you, that’s all you can control. People are going to come and go especially the old guard who’ve been doing it much longer. People get burned out that’s life, especially when nothing new is slicing it up.

But I’m excited. A whole lotta new people joining up and bringing new blood. I know I myself have just started and hope to stick around and support the sport as much as I can. It’s fun! And I hope that we can race some time. Esk8Con this year seems to be bringing a lot of people together. Exciting times.

If the project doesn’t bring you joy or excitement though, ehh thats fine too. Do what’s fun to you.

8 Likes

Oh and need you to come out and put up some new 0-20 times :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

Man, please go to esk8con still. I’d love to meet you!

4 Likes

tx. :slight_smile: now it’s a harder decision.

We’d have to race in pluggers tho.

I’m not quite at that level but if we can get @glyphiks over he’ll race in pluggers no doubt

Bare feet or no dice.

If Fess was there i’d even omit pants.

1 Like

@fessyfoo completely understandable but I am a little sad to hear this project is probably ending. I was really enjoying following your experiments!

6 Likes

alright little glimmer of hope. I got back on the track yesterday. at a special i2s san gabriel valley.
the vesc board in this instance was replaced with 4wd Ankle Wreacher

little glimmer of suck. I slipped out on a paint mark and got a mild concussion. and i skipped sd i2s today :poop: tx @tuckjohn for driving me home.

main point for this thread, I seem to be willing to get out there again still.

10 Likes

Which board were you trying when you got back out there?

I brought v5#3 (castle x2) just wanted to bring one board to get back into things.
I also rode v5#28 (go-foc 300 x 4 ) which @tuckjohn brought.

v5#28 (go-foc) is fast. i expect it to have more power than v5#3(castle) i felt like it probably did. but I needed to ride it more to get used to the current mode throttle again to really push harder.
other bits I did notice and did get used to, include like 25mm narrower stance and more weight in the front.

you hit the paint mark by going wide. this was our turn.

i hit it riding v5#3(castle) and concused.
@tuckjohn hit it on v5#28(go-foc) and lived. but looked stylely saving it.

3 Likes

They recoated the Parking lot by my work and I slid out on one of those lines and it was like a cartoon slipping on a banana peel, landed on the top of my head, it was damp though. Why isn’t it standard to texture all painted lines on the ground. I slipped walking on a painted line at target and landed on my kneecap, if I was an old man it would have been bad, and a lawsuit waiting to happen.

1 Like

seriously. those lines suck.