200A discharge 3.7V 8AH flat pouch lithium ion cells

1 Like

whooooooooooooooooooooooooo

damn. might as well go 21700

1 Like

I spent $16 on shrink wrap (shit Ace hardware prices) for this project. Thatā€™s more than half the cost of the cells in the battery. The cells are probably like 1/3 or a 1/4 of the cost of the pack. Itā€™s wacky.

3 Likes

Iā€™m at Serinehā€™s house. No Eskate stuff here. Let me look through email receipt history.

I also closed those crimps with a vice. So, that helps. I sold a few bits of neglected gear and am jettisoning projects I donā€™t love.

Iā€™ll finish my packs in 4s configurations. Bc @MoeStooge at 8s, me at 12s, and future me at 16s all might have a use for them.

6 Likes

Donā€™t try to make a tall stack like mine with the vice method. You would need about 7 hands.

My pack is ready to charge up

This was the cause of no reading the the balance lead. Making sure you get the wires flat before crimping and having no cold solder is important. Iā€™m lucky this was the very top/bottom cell I did first before I figured out what I was doing.

2 Likes

Easier said than done, I am aware of this. Itā€™s like surgery on a semi conscious electric eel

:rofl:

3 Likes

#iimmediatelyregretthisdecision

4 Likes

Shipping from batthookup wasnt too bad to EU. but you have to order minimum 50 cells for it to be worth it.

It took 4 months for it to get here cause the handling is questionable at best from hookup, but it did get here and support was helpful but slow.

2 Likes

This is a regular thing when crushing a solder joint. itā€™s advised not to solder then apply lage amount of compression.

Think of a glass sheet very strong can stand on it. Drop a spanner on it and it shatters everywhere

I would probably drill a hole in the battry tap push the cable in and solder that with a lot of flux

2 Likes

Alright guys, I am going yet another route: I will solder the cell tabs.

I am still deciding whether to solder

• tab-tab directly and then just bend them into zigzag
  • tab-copperbraid-tab
1 Like

you should use some mechanical fastening in addition to soldering.

What shape you making?

Two zigzag packs next to each other, with each level connected in parallel, in a Pelican 1400.

If the cells donā€™t move relative to each other I would expect the solder to be sufficient - itā€™s not bearing any forces apart from vibrations. Or why do you think it needs mechanical fastening on top?

1 Like

just be be safe, and mostly because itā€™s easy to add not but not later

1 Like

Iā€™m gonna wear my triple 8 bc the TSG has a tinted visor

I was just about to ask which helmet youā€™d wear! :wink:

dumb question but would it be possible to crimp the wire without applying any solder at all?

1 Like

If you use bolts (and some busbar to distribute the pressure), you donā€™t need any crimp or wireā€¦

this should work for the balance leads, It is better to have solder for the solid connection, and it is only reasonably possible to solder to the crimps before attaching to the cells.

So you could try to solder the balance lead to the top of the crimp, loop it through the inside of the crimp then attach for a reliable connection. Something like this. The crimps are halla easy to solder to.

1 Like

Linking the issues Iā€™m having here.

Iā€™m thinking these cells are not quite good enough for a 1P, at least not using them like their specs for them new say you can. 2P would be good. I think testing and pairing cells is more crucial than I thought, and I was thinking it would be important for making a good battery but it seems pertinent to making a properly working pack at all with these cells.

I am looking at cell testers now. I think I will just settle for a 4 bay cheap cell tester if I donā€™t find something else.

3 Likes

Not sure about your budget but I can recommend the B&K Precision 8600. Its really easy to work with.
The gui for PC is pretty shit but you can do alot just fiddling with settings without a PC.

1 Like