200A discharge 3.7V 8AH flat pouch lithium ion cells

And with a nice “clip tool” : https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001171983939.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.68472e0eqdbOf4

1 Like

Have looked a couple times and none of them really seem to be the perfect size. I got the ones that @Arzamenable posted when I asked him I ended up having to cut the first tooth off of them.

What I liked is it they were one of the cheapest options and had high current ability.

1 Like

Let’s see what made this 6S pack loose all power when I hit the throttle uphill.

Oh just a bad solder joint.

These cells still great

I’ve been wanting to build a spot welder out of these packs.

1 Like

me too but hobbyking is taking 3 weeks to deliver smh

hoping 3S3P works good.

1 Like

3s3p works great.
I made series connections with some bent aluminum and rivets. the main leads are 2x 10awg to a (gulp) single xt90. Kweld probes get too hot to handle before there’s any heat from the batt

2 Likes

yes the thermal performance on these cells is great. They only heat up when I really beat on them while they are completely encased in foam in a case on a hot day.

My only slight worry is the 3.5mm bullets I was planning on using for paralleling 3S1P’s, but x3 shooouulld be ok.

Can always step em up later

Just got a small set to try n make a 3p for the boss welder… Can I just solder some copper braid for series connects…or??

These things are alex baldwin Trump voice “huuuuge”

the tabs are aluminum, so I don’t think you can solder easily. Anyway the the plastic will melt for sure if you try. I got some toasty cells here that agree with me.

Best use mechanical connections and solder to those (beforehand, preferably), like bolts, rivets, foil crimps, etc.

2 Likes

worked well for me, plus a manual crimp (not sure if that helps actually or not).

2x rivets on the primary tab, then the two other tabs I pressed together and with a pair of needle nose I folded them together then flattened. The “Crimp” probably does nothing, but it doesnt appear to have caused any problems as far as i can tell. Been running the pack at 2x 6s1p on my ESC’s from @tomiboi and the batteries have been doing what batteries do. Tomy’s ESC’s are performing quite well as well but I plan on making an official post on his thread regarding their performance once I get my metr installed.

1 Like

For a spot welding pack is there any reason I can’t just sandwich the 2 together with some hardware?

I was gonna solder some ring terminals just now and connect them with 10ga wire and.use hardware that way… Another idea that crossed my mind was ring terminals still plus hardware…

Like this roughly

Not sure about the hardware option, I’d probably see if you could manage finding some aluminum flat stock and use that as a busbar rather than using galvanized steel hardware.

I just finished mine, this is how I did it:

Some copper plate from the hardware store, copper washers, nuts, bolts & lock washers:

Used 10AWG

Make sure to fishpaper this part:
fishpaper SPIM
I left that out at first and got some sparky sprarks shorting when tightening the bolts

4 Likes

good to know on that… i like @iamasalmon rivet sandwich… i just want it to be quick and easy (if possible) and just wondering if the added ring terminals with are wire are necessary if the two ends alone are already meant to discharge at their stated output

1 Like

You can totally just press the tabs together for a series connection. the problem becomes tab length if you zigzag the cells, because the tabs will only reach about 4x thick (a 2s series connection), but you could lay it flat and not have to add material unless you go thicker than 4p.

good to know you didn’t real my posts about all that then :joy:

interesting solution

1 Like

@Fosterqc that’s a long thread to read everything. You’re right, I did not read it, sorry dude.

2 Likes

I read your posts after I found out the hard way :man_shrugging:

1 Like

best way I have found for soldering the foil crimps, punch them into a wood plank.

once you prep all the series connections and output wires, build the pack up.

You could make a lot of them at once with this method. Shame they are $$ instead of $ now…

2 Likes
1 Like