200A discharge 3.7V 8AH flat pouch lithium ion cells

Pulling over 100a (12s1p) at full charge (50.4v) would cause my voltage cutoff to kick in (43-45v) and pulling anywhere near 150a causes them to sag at least 10v. I think I got 2 or 3 miles in before they were going to be permanently damaged from under voltage. Super strange and niche cells.

2 Likes

Huh I’m set to 130A 4x 30A but this is my only running board so sag isn’t something I have a good understanding of.

Low voltage doesn’t kick in till I’ve gotten most of the ride out of it. A way to track all the voltages while riding would be mighty handy.

2 Likes

I think they’re good cells if you treat them like 8Ah 100a peak cells, but they should not have 200a of current continuously drawn from them unless I got some really bad cells. Even matched my 12 lowest internal resistance cells to try and get good results but gave up shortly after.

1 Like

You must have a deep cutout then!
I would expect it to be easier to connect the layers, but that depends on the connection method.

1 Like

Yeah, that sounds reasonable.
But you only got 2-3 miles out of 8Ah? that’s more than 100Wh/mile!
What were you powering?

1 Like

First build done 200A SPIM08HP cells running at 120A 4x 30A/FOCBOX (the good one) AWD Maytech 6374 Haggy DT ABEC wheelz

Quad 6374 maytech. It’s a wild ride with a good top speed I haven’t hit.

2 Likes

It wasn’t that they were discharged at the end of the ride, but everytime I accelerated they would sag 5v and put my board into limp mode.

I am surprised it draws that much.
At which SOC does the sag become an issue?
If you limit the draw at lower SOC, does that mitigate the sagging?

1 Like

I don’t have any kind of meter on my board as I wasn’t told how to get older firmware until after I had flashed all my VESCs, and the Bluetooth adapter I have is no longer supported.

So I need to reflash them to older firmware or get a supported Bluetooth adapter then I could tell ya.

1 Like

Same experience as you. I use them in a 2p setup. Pulling 180amp, give a lot of voltage drop, minimum 10v. That takes down some top speed (I use them on my diy electric gokart)
They hold most of the charge between 3,6v and 3,2v, again this take down topspeed and watt. Thats why i´m building a new battery out of molicel p42a at the moment. Looking forward do to a comparison between these two. At the moment my topspeed is 104km/4… pretty sure I can hit at least 110km/h with Molicels, but time will tell.

3 Likes

12s4p or bigger? No room in the kart for another P group of pouches?

There internal resistance is to high to be anywhere near what the spec claimed but I was exspecting it to be more of a 50amp discharge think of a 3p pack that’s 9Ah at 60amp discharge and take up less space

12s 8p fits in that hummy deck that’s a 24Ah 180a discharge and still got room for ESC or BMS

There over sized over specked pore performing cells that are cheep only use I see is for huge cheep packs

Nope, no more space

A 20s6p or 22s6p battery with the NESE system

A 20s6p out of Molicels, take less space vs. my current 20s2p pouch battery. And gives me 54% more capacity at the same time :call_me_hand:

2 Likes

Did you figure out how to flash older FW? I need to do the same as one of my duals boot loaders is corrupted and stuck on older FW while the other is running new FW. So I need to downgrade the good side now :joy:

1 Like

Yeah I learned you need old vesc tools. There is a thread on there somewhere where you can find old vesc tools.

2 Likes

Oh, that explains. I also just read the newest VESC tool now supports older FW. Ackmaniac does not seem to do so though, yet.

1 Like

I guess you gotta keep in mind that due to the power density of these cells they aren’t suited to our space constrained vehicles. Where they really shine is in larger stuff such as electric cars and bikes. These cells were pulled from Chinese electric buses so that is obviously a good use case as they can fit so many of the cells and get the power required to move a bus

1 Like

True suppose it’s down to picking 2 out of 3

Cheap per AH
Max Discharge Per AH
Power density

1 Like

think it can be simplified to pick one of these two
like how 40T has 30a output, but “only” 3000mah capacity for a 21700
but 35E has 15a output, but 3500mah for a 18650 cell

the chemistry itself dictates what type of battery it is

1 Like

I think a 12S2P will fit really nicely in an Apache 2800 Case.

the sides have to be bent down and you need some thinner foam.
Upon closer inspection I think 12S3P might work also.

1 Like