10S/12S typical battery charge rates?

It seems to be 1A-4A or so (for the pack) for most people?

7 Likes

I thinks it’s more 2-8a :grin:

10 Likes

And some bigger batteries using more

I would live to charge faster, but the chargers get pretty massive and a pain to carry when on the road, that is where it makes sense to fast charge

4 Likes

Most people are stuck with 2A to 8A options, but some of the guys have like 20A for their massive 30Ah packs

4 Likes

My standard recommendation is 1A per P group. If you want a fast charge maybe 2A per P group but I don’t recomend charging anywhere close to 1C like most cells can take because the heat will build in a large pack way more than it would from a single cell on a charger.

4 Likes

9.6amps for me

12s6p 30q
12s3p p42a

And 5amps on my 12s2p lipo

1 Like

Would it be bad to only charge a 12s10p 30q pack at only 2 amps?

Don’t care if it takes all night.

But is it detrimental in any way?

1 Like

It shouldn’t be. Lower charge rates reduce heating and can help to extend cell life.

5 Likes

Christ…
Why only 2amps?

3 Likes

The 12s packs I have currently are small.
12s3p 30q and 12s4p 40t. So I like to just keep at 2amps on those and have 3 chargers… All 2 amps.

3 Likes

time to make a 3way split charger? for science and giggles :wink:
2way exists.

yet to see the carzy one among us do a 3way

The two chargers are hardwired in parallel to the pack?

That would be 20amps for my 48Ah pack. Thank you very much :heart:

Charger here :https://forum.freesk8.org/t/the-last-power-supply-youll-ever-need/276/41
(Other forum had more info)
Battery here : 12s7p Qb26800 "That's Two KiloWatt Hours" Topmount

3 Likes

It would seem like it. @Pedrodemio what did you do exactly?

1 Like

Will P42A batteries get hot if charging 3A/cell?
Datasheet states that standard rate is 4A.

Just wired them in parallel, 3 way definitely possible, but I don’t have another charger and the GX-12 would probably melt

Even if there is a voltage mismatch, it works, what happens is that the slight lower voltage charger turnoff as soon as you plug both together, a few seconds later it try again and this process repeats until the FlexiBMS engages the charging

Same thing as if you plug an adjustable charger in a pack that is higher voltage than the set point

Nothing blew up, need to discharge the pack to 0 and do a lot of the full charge time to see if anything gets too hot

But even at 10A is not that much for the 30Q, only 2A/cell, will degrade faster? probably, but as I said I will almost never use this setup

1 Like

I think this range is common for the street boards but once you start to consider all terrain boards with 12s8p packs and larger then 4A just isn’t enough.

For people on 8P+ then 8A,10A &12A chargers are easy to get hold of. After 12A it becomes hard to find chargers capable of that much power without being huge or looking like a server PSU.

Personally I have a 4.5A charger for my 18s4p p42a pack, but it takes over 3.5 hours which is to long to hang about at a pub mid ride. I have been trying to work out a better charge solution but not worked it out yet.

4 Likes

12s6p 30q 8a charging

5 Likes

I like what you did here. Pretty simple

For me it goes like

12s10p 35e 10a Charger on the go and 6.5a at home

I feel like 4a is not enough for a pack that big. Besides taking a long time to charge it won’t go pass 92% witch wasn’t the case with same charger and smaller packs :man_shrugging:t2:

3 Likes

My 8P 30Q brick is warm charging at 8A. You notice any heat? I’m not sure your cell layout either tho.

1 Like