ZELDA: 18s6p P45B, Newbee Triplelinks, Deathtoll goodness

This board has gone through enough changes that it’s officially not the original board anymore, so deserves its own new thread. Some of this board started life on Hercaleez but at this point the only remaining parts that carried over to this board are the Tomiboi enclosure and gear drives (for now).

This board is based on a @tomiboi Deathtoll deck, 43" au-natural finish. Beautiful deck. He got the flex just right for my not-so-poasty weight. Something between 8 and 50 layers of whatever enchanted trees he personally cuts down to make these. I had him install inserts in the deck because I originally swapped my DS segmented enclosure over from Hercaleez (with a 12s8p, Stormcore etc. in it). This was cool and worked fine. But I can’t leave shit alone. @rafaelinmissouri became the caring new owner of that excellent battery pack, and I decided to stubbornly build my own battery that shouldn’t fit the enclosure, but did.

I grabbed some Molicel P45B’s when they were on sale and grabbed some more pack building supplies from all corners of the internet. I took my time with it and even though it’s not perfect, I think it came out pretty good for someone that doesn’t do this on the regular. I had to come up with an oddball layout to get it to just fit, including using some 3D-printed jigs and such to hold the cells. If I were to do it over I’d maybe try something different, but I am good with it as-is. I’m not going to pull mega amps from it so it should be good in the hood.

I originally fit some SRB HD 3-links on this board and rode it that way this year. They are pretty killer, and I do like them a lot. I still needed to do some tuning on them, but I can see why they are so popular for racing and such. I talk to and annoy our dear @Ean.esk8 @ Newbee far too much and he let me know about the Triplelinks he was working on. Most (or all?) of the functionality of the 3-links, but with a dedicated hanger profile to install gear drives. Sweet! I’ll try them out and compare to SRB. Winner takes all.

I carried over my Newbee 4GS 55:11 drives to this board, and they will work out nicely for this setup. I ordered a new set of them as well to go on this drive so they are nice and fresh. I grabbed other bits and pieces along the way for this board, so I won’t bore you with stories on everything. I am hoping it’s a killer street board that I can try out at some local I2S events should we get some together (@jack.luis)!

Build sheet:

• Tomiboi Deathtoll 43" deck w/ DS segmented enclosure
  • Tomiboi racheting toe clip (left only, because I’m cool and want everyone to know)
  • 18s6p P45B w/ JBD smart BMS
  • MakerX D100S V®E®S®C®®®® mounted to beefy @mackann heatsink
  • @Skyart SKP 6485 151kv motors
  • Newbee 4GS 55:11 gear drives
  • Newbee Triplelinks trucks
  • MBS Rockstar Pro wheels w/ Kenda K909 (for now). I love 200mm tires.
  • @hoytskate Puck (Pro? when!?)
  • Davega (vintage, I know what I got)

I haven’t named any of my boards, but I am deeming this one Zelda because of all the Links. I’ll update this as I go. Board is 95% complete, motors are coming tomorrow hopefully and with any luck I’ll get it to spin up next day. Same day a foot of snow is coming. Nice.
According to the Esk8 calculator I should have a max loaded speed around 41-42mph on this setup which is perfect. I want plenty of torque and comfortable 30’s for speed.

With the SRB trucks and Savage custom drive clamps. Also running an extender on the front. These are 175mm tires as well.

Designed and 3D-printed a shelf for the BMS to sit on above the ESC with some 3M Dual-lok. Bolts to the Bioboards heatsink. Gold because Zelda. Will probably throw some heat shrink around the BMS for extra security (thanks for the idea @monsterbuilder)

32 Likes

that esc cover looks great

5 Likes

does this hurt the trees?

1 Like

No the trees are grown with 6mm holes just for this purpose. It’s amazing, really

4 Likes

So sexy :fire:I love everything about this build :call_me_hand:

3 Likes

Duuuuuuuude. Is even the Velcro 3D printed?

That gold is so freaking cool.

I want to see a final glamour shot with all the wires hooked up.

3 Likes

Stoked to see this one come together! Looks great so far

4 Likes

Oh that’s a good read lol. Love it.

And I can’t freaking wait for the comparison write up. My triple 3 link Link purchase hinges on it.

4 Likes

Once I put on the CST 200x50s that @Shadowfax recommendesI never looked at a Kenda again…

Me gusta mucho!!!

8 Likes

I’ll have to try some of these. My wife stopped questioning the weird packages coming from China a while ago, since most of them had tires in them anyways

I wish I printed the Velcro :laughing:

5 Likes

USPS doing USPS stuff and looks like my motors won’t be here today… bummer. Was hoping to get it spun up this weekend before the snow hits.

I’m getting a little panel mount micro-USB thing to connect to the VESC so I can connect my laptop easily without popping the enclosure open. Might work, might suck, it’s all good. I’m not worried about poking more holes in my enclosure. The back end of it is Swiss cheese after all the different panel mount connectors and such I’ve run on it. It has more holes than @BillGordon but less silicone (I think…)

Instead of running yet another config of panel mount stuff in the back I got lazy (read: streamline!) and fab’d an aluminum panel with PG13.5 cable glands. I gooped all over the inside holey mess ( :pray:t2: ) with some RTV sealant to make it a tiny closet to hide all my past skeletons. Not sure where the future ones will hide. For a charge port I’m running an XT60E-F panel mount with lil sealy door, 30A fuse in line on positive side.

Anyways blah blah no motors goopey aluminum big glands, profit!

Oh! I also stole the general format @SBS uses on his pack decals and made one for mine. I hope all my info is wrong and I can trick myself into blowing up my board.

12 Likes

Made a medium sized hole to stick this thing with a small sized hole through it. Fits well around my BMS thingy and tested well using my laptop and VESC tool. While I had it hooked up I flashed my bootloaders and put 6.02 on this sucker. Getting there.

10 Likes

The label on that pack looks great!

2 Likes

Modors are here finally! USPS got sick of using the box to prop open the door to their warehouse shitter and put it on a truck and dropped off today.

Shaft length on these SKP motors is perfect for 4GS drives. One of my pinions had a little bit of old loctite in it still and gave me a hard time getting it onto the new motor, and it has a bit more resistance compared to the other one - I’m thinking the pressed-in bushing on the pinion may either be dirty or maybe on its way out, but I’ll monitor it. Have a new 4GS set on the way anyways.

Got my wire sheaths on the glorious phase wires. Makes me feel like I have a little bit of poast in my board :pinching_hand:t2: seeing the purple blue and grey.

Anyways in my infinite wisdom I waited too long and my 4mm bullet connectors aren’t here because I’m a special boy. I circumcised the 5.5mm bullets on the D100S, and now I wait

13 Likes

I had to use .3mm shims on the motor mount or my pinyon gear was rubbing on the inside of the case with my 6485 skp reachers. What size motors did you get?

Edit: i see you got the exact same motor as me. Wonder what i did differently than you?

2 Likes

That’s a known issue hey @me_ashman

1 Like

Yeah I had to add a shim between the motor mount and the gear case to move the motor pinion out. Same problem the pinion hits the inner casing and barely turns.

I’m using saite motors with short 24mm shafts.

I used automotive gasket paper to give about 2mm

2 Likes

Ah good to know. I’m not sure @Pecos these motors were from the newest batch that just came in. Maybe I will add a very thin spacer. Initially when I installed that side I could tell it was hitting the casing inside and didn’t want to spin, so I was able to get it pushed further onto the shaft and it seemed better. Maybe there’s still a hair of resistance in there with it being close. I’ll investigate

I thought that maybe I hadn’t seated the gear low enough on the first one so i made exactly sure to seat the second one perfectly and they both were scraping bad enough that there was a lot of resistance. .2 mm shim and it spins freely .3mm and i can sneak some grease around the edges and im not worried about it.
Same batch from skp for my motors too, was on the black Friday preorder

1 Like

I’ll probably do the same to be safe then. One side seems like it has normal freeroll (no scraping) but the other has a bit of resistance

1 Like