Your input on a lightweight emtb

Hello,

I’ve been thinking of reducing the weight of my emtb for a number of reasons, (easier to carry around, easier to take it in the air, and more manageable in case of a fall)

My current setup

Haero bro deck

Apex air trucks with POM moon drive and mbs plastic hubs

Mbs f4+f5 heelstrap

12s5p 12700 molicell on a custom enclosure

Flipsky 6375 motors

Maker x dv6

Bull bar

I am thinking of changing the battery to a 16s2p, maybe make 2 of them to be swapped for longer range rides, change the gear drive for a chain or belt drive+tensioner, put 6355 motors and finally remove the bull bar.

What do you guys think about going from a big ish 12s to a small ish 16s? I am thinking of using 170kv motors geared for as close to 28/30mph as the pulleys availability allows me, that way I can hopefully pump a fair amount of amps through the small motors.

And what do you think about chain drive or belt drive instead of gears?

1 Like

why not 16s4p?

Definitely don’t do 16s2p. That’s a miniature battery on a emtb. Changing packs mid ride will suck, unless you really care about weight, I’d choose 12s5p over that. 60 cells is the minimum I’d do for any pneumatic build.

It’s not like you’re saving any weight doing two packs, since you have to carry that second pack on your person anyway. So you need to ride with a backpack to carry the extra pack, right?

Also, do apex jump drives over moon drives.

1 Like

If your main goal is to make it lightweight, is the bull bar necessary?

1 Like

The point is reducing weight to have a board that I can use for tricks and short fast off-road rides, so going to 16s4p will be even worse. I currently do 23 miles with the 12s4p, I reckon 16s2p should give me around 10/12 miles, I will be carrying the extra battery on my back only when I know I’m going for a longer ride.

Jump drives is not a massive difference in weight, do you reckon a belt or chain drive will be a lot lighter?

How about 16s3p, still going to be capable of pushing 90a

4 Likes

Yes, that’s why I mentioned that the bullbar is one pf the things I will be removing

1 Like

Yes…I definitely read that…:sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Makes sense. It will be nice and light then.

I’m not sure. I’d go with jump drives just because they are steel on steel, and seem to be building a bombproof reputation.

1 Like

Ph yes i tried them in several occasions and the are fantastic, but still around 500g each, and since I won’t have much power after the updates I reckon belt with a tensioner might actually be enough to handle the reduced torque.

I see countless trampa still going strong with their 20mm belts

3 Likes

Well not sure if belts can handle those rough condition. They prob can for a short while but I reckon you will be going through them often.

1 Like

You should checkout @rich aka Jumpinator and @Andy87 threads.

1 Like

Sounds interesting! @Evwan has a 16s3p that he bullies the crap out of, but it seems to be going strong. He does mention it gets a tad bit of sag.

One of the few situations where p45b may actually help you out. I have a small swappable enclosure you may be interested in checking out, but do know thag a 16s2p or 3p in a bag on your back will slap you about quite a bit, so something to think about.

2 Likes

12s3p 30t Dylan warren and Jump drives. Edit, 15kgs. Jumps will be lighter than chains. Belts break. You saw all the guys drop out of races on Tampas at EEBIT?

5 Likes

My voltage may be down but my balance is mint

Pulling 6kw out of this pack at full charge.

2 Likes

@Battery_Mooch just posted a cool article on his Patreon about how the significantly reduced sag of p45b at high currents gives us more wattage at the same current draw. Highly recommend giving that a read if you’re interested in the cells. Its a couple of bucks a month for a wealth of knowledge.

7 Likes

I wasn’t there much, but I believe you, I had belts last year and I snapped 3.

I just thought a low power build might be ok, but actually I think I’ll stick with gears, especially if you tell me the chain is heavier

So the p45 have more capacity and a higher discharge, sound ideal for my project,

A 16s2p will give me 90 amps and around 500wh, going to 16s3p will not be worth it as it will only save 600 grams, but if the p45 have less sag maybe I’ll still be able to enjoy a decent 10 mile ride.

Can you tell me more about the swappable pack?

What sort of mileage can you achieve with that?

15 miles on a bad day. 20 if I’m not riding like a lunatic

That’s not bad at all, what cells are they and what esc/motors are you running?

Do you reckon the 16s setup can generate more power with less motor amps without saturating the motors?

P42a, 120 motor amps, 50 batt per side

2 Likes