XL-R Cutting out....turning off randomly...scary

I got an XL-R bout a year ago. It started turning off randomly. I ride in San Francisco up and down lots of BIG hills and being able to rely on it NOT turning off going downhill is of huge importance to me…of course because…i like to be alive but I just don’t trust it downhill anymore.

Anyone else experience anything like this?

Also …anyone get on that actually came with a 20s battery pack?

thanks!

3 Likes

Are you at 100% battery and braking while going down the hill?

6 Likes

This. You might want to turn off battery regen on braking or run your board out some before you ride.

As for actual 20s board I’ve heard the first year or so of board were all 18s. But anything coming out in the last 6-8 months from Ernesto has been 20s . Its hard to really tell cause he doesnt clearly disclose changes and the buyers of most of these boards dont open them. They just see this is the most expensive im gonna buy it.

Wtf seriously? How can he get away with this? Scummy AF. People should check what they paid for especially in that cost bracket.

2 Likes

That is unacceptable behavior. I believe the XLR claims to have rheostatic braking which should prevent this.

The rest of us are bypassing the BMS for discharging specifically to prevent something like what you experienced.

Last time I spoke to Ernesto about this kinda thing he was still discharging through a BMS but that may be old info.

4 Likes

I believe he “quietly” announced in some instagram video the first “few” were going to be 18s because of “supply chain issues”. How many that is Idk. Its also possible he made some compromises with customers because the etas had been pushed back so many times he just wanted to get them something but i have no idea. Again im not certain on all the facts here its just what I saw floating around the kaly Facebook group. I posted some screen shots of the site awhile ago showing these inconsistences and even asked for clarity from Ernesto on the XLR announcement page here and he never responded.

Old screen shots i took. 1 page says 18s another says 20s. Now the page im pretty sure only says 20 but for whats out there :man_shrugging:.

4 Likes

@Kaly seems like they would get along quite well with @summerboard

To be clear I don’t think there is any scumbaggery a foot.
Ernesto is pretty known to be wildly slow to respond/update his site. I do believe he notified buyers of changes but it wasnt clear to people looking. Also i think he had injury recently? I vaguely remember seeing something about that. I think hes just one dude trying to do way too much.

1 Like

You don’t have to be a scum bag to have bad business practices though. :person_shrugging: even if you are the only one running things it isn’t hard to ensure you have good practices. I would know since I’ve done it myself before

1 Like

I totally agree. By scumbaggery I mean bait and switch. I don’t think that is actually happening. He certainly has question business practices.

1 Like

It’s probably the anti spark switch. Either replace it install a loop key

1 Like

This will probably prevent a lot of issues too.

Send Ernesto an email or message him on facebook. I have heard that he generally takes pretty good care of his customers.

I think some of his practices are unacceptable and the boards are not the best, but Kaly folks on facebook love him, so he is doing something right at least.

1 Like

Kaly saga continues.

2 Likes

hey just want to say thanks to everyone for their advice and help… apologies for dropping off had to get a cow valve installed in my heart suddenly…all better now …im a moo man but by time i got out and allowed to ride again i went to try ride it see if I could recreate the turning off randomly problem again but now the board won’t even turn on or take a charge…

I’m reading some threads that say the ubox may have drained my pack somehow and killed it…

when i plug the charger in it just acts like the battery pack is full… so it was fooling me I kept plugging it in I thought it was full whe i was recovering but in reality I guess it fully dead…

anyone have any advice on how to go about determining if my battery pack is just toast because it drained all the way? or if there’s a way to bring it back?

I should be able to test to see if the charger is still working by putting a multi meter on the end of the batery charger cable right?

trying to figure out how to salvage as much of this board as I can and get her back up and running

prob gonna take the board to someone knows more than me and see if it needs a new pack and then figure out a different ESC I guess to put in it but it’s got those hydraulic stabilized trucks on it which I have no idea how those are wired up or If it is through a sentinel that ernesto had custom made…

be nice if you know when the guy goes out of business you would at least share some technical data with us somewhere for those of us with 60 lb rolling paper weights that cost over 6 grand :person_facepalming:t2:

what a bummmer. anyways y’all are the best appreciate it

1 Like

Most or your drain is caused by the buck converter for the stabilizer. Remove that or get something that cut the power to it when not in use and most of the drain will be solved. The ubox drain is very minimal, specially for this big battery.
You should replace the battery.

2 Likes

Really late to the party but… oh man… XLR’s switch doesn’t cut the power to the stabilzer?.. thats messed up…

These packs have a bluetooth smart BMS no? Can you read the bms using XiaoXang or another bms app? What voltages do you see?

In all likelihood your battery is stone dead and most likely the battery pack is toast. Anyone with sense and knowledge surrounding these fire bombs is gonna tell you not to charge this pack and do not attempt to revive it.

2 Likes

:joy:

Well worth trying to hook up with a local battery builder to see what’s what.

Ya you are absolutely right.

That’s damn good advice that I’ll follow.

This experience has given me ∅ reasons to trust that the pack was built properly & is safe and plenty of reasons to not to.

Effin L-Ion fires are naaaassty. I saw an 18650 from my buddies vape mod thermal overload and explode…that F’r was white hot for 5 minutes after it stopped burning.

Anyone recommend any battery builders?

I been checking out Chicago Battery Systems and the guy in Peru…Peru Eskates?