xcell tires super imbalance?

Yes, has tube and screws fully in. Not inflated, but did try again inflated with the same results.

Can’t take it out for a spin yet, but every tire I’ve tried that’s had a noticeable imbalance was hard to control around ~35kmh. Just spinning with my hand causes the board to shake.

Time to buy weights to balance that :man_shrugging:

Nah, think its time to buy BRP airless wheels. I gave up on using imbalanced tires + weights awhile ago. Balance + grip is the only thing I really care about.

1 Like

I have noticed that tubes can bunch a bit inside the tire. Might have to try a bit harder to not get it to bunch, like maybe bunch away from the stern side. Or try not to get bunching at all. So something additional to check.

1 Like

Already did that to make sure I wasn’t pinching tubes. Don’t think I’ll be able to use these for track racing.

is the tire centered on the rim. sometimes they have some play bead to hub, then get pinned off center against the sidewall.

Sometimes This helps center them ^

and this helps remove the play ^ also electrical tape works.

2 Likes

It’s a little off.

Yup, I do this with all my tires.

Would this not cause the tubes to pop?

Mine didn’t seem as well balanced as my previous meepos either. Also using hubba hubs.

2 Likes

You gotta inflate them. Put some superlube all around on the bead before you put the tire on the rim. This will help the bead seat better. Inflate to 60psi.

Show us that video. I bet it will be much better

it shouldn’t you’re just using some tape to help center the bead to hub before inflating pushes it against the lip.

Already did all that last night. Just as bad. I’ll take another video and spend another few hours with them, but after that I’m calling it.

I wonder if the new batch is worse than V1. These are so bad compared to every other tire I have.

Does it not come into contact with the tube?

I’ve been wondering why the track guys seem to use meepos tubeless (and of course brp) over xcells. Wonder if they experienced this too

xcell rs tires were unobtainium for a long time, so people started trying out different tires. The Meepos are softer than the v1, probably still softer than the v2. The v1 were very hard and kind of unpleasant to ride for anything other than racing.

From what I have seen, the v2 are better balanced than the v1 xcell rs tires.

It’s pretty unlikely that you got 4 awful balance xcell rs v2, unless you got super unlucky and the batch is bad. There is probably something you can do in setup to make the balance quite good.

I’ll throw on some weights and see if it at least balances them. Not the cheapest tires, so I don’t want to give up on them, but at the end of the day, I’m not going to force myself to use them.

1 Like

the tube pushes on the tape on the rim yah. but it’s not a problem. tube also pushes against the edge of the bead to rim transition which is probably harsher. Just in case i’m not communicating it clearly the idea is the tape thickens up the hub so that any space between the hub and the edge of the tire is taken up to keep things centered as it’s getting inflated.

Some hubs taper from a smaller diameter to a larger one as they push out to help with that centering. Others have a slightly angled lip to do similar.

We did see the failed centering of some of the early v1s on some hubs so that’s why i’m pointing it out.

Matt Hover seemed pretty obsessed with good balance of the RS tires, when designing them. it was one of the feature claims. So it seems odd you’re such an obvious imbalance.

You shouldn’t need weights to balance these. Until you share more photos and videos of your setup, there isn’t much we can do to point you in the right direction.

I just tried with weights, and that helped slightly, but still off.

I cant show everything of the setup, but what else would help?

Edit: re adjusted weights, and the balance is more acceptable, but still off more than I want.

Edit 2: better. Needed 5 weights. Only slightly off.

Honestly, this is kinda strange. I agree with you, the balance doesn’t look good. I’d try to remount them with different inner tubes. Use 150mm tubes, not 175mm, to make sure there is no bunching.

If that doesn’t work, I’d return them to xcell. You shouldn’t need to use that many balancing weights on tires.

1 Like