WTS 75 mile old Flux build

Maybe some of them were thinner than others then - either that or the wheel wasn’t tightened enough

If you don’t tighten the wheel enough, lateral vibrations are the only thing that should be able to wear through like that I think

1 Like

I installed this gear drive. It was the 6th one I’ve done. I did it correctly.

No, they dont. Which is why there’s a fix coming.

1 Like

In my experience they work just fine.

Can’t argue with that, literally lol

1 Like

I bet you two Big Macs I can absolutely nuke my gear drive within 300 Miles

1 Like

Maybe the star piece but I doubt you’d be able to break anything else

I think it’s the first drive that @NullBlox has managed to ride around in the park and not break

2 Likes

Agreed.

1 Like

nah…on the existing version i give you 120 miles.

2 Likes

I don’t doubt this but how do you ride? I use 90A per Motor…
I know I may not be the most aggressive rider but I have beat the ever living shit out of this drive.
Even slammed the back end into a tree going around 25mph+

I just wonder how you did this, Im honesty impressed.
I do see it being so thin becoming an issue but has not become one for me yet.
I will be sure to watch out for this though and hope @Boardnamics offers a thicker star piece for us.
Maybe even discount the people who have this drive already.

Im truly impressed at this though. GG! (hats off to you my friend.)

1 Like

Well yeah that’s what I mean

1 Like

Not me, the new owner did that. He didn’t ride particularly aggressive either.

I refuse to believe the torque alone pull the screw trough that star plate.

2 Likes

Hehehe gonna pump 110 amps per motor and see how long they survive :smiling_imp::smiling_imp::smiling_imp:

That’s what I’m trying to say, I think that this is caused by the wheel not being tight enough. It really needs to be cranked down, it helps hold the press fit mount on.

I can’t offer much to say though without seeing how it was originally installed

However, I’m being earnestly combatted by Jack. Keep in mind Jack, I’m not trying to put this on you installing it incorrectly, just trying to troubleshoot.

I would think he might. Have you seen the new one? It’s a steel disc, pretty much unbreakable lol

1 Like

If it was 100nm maybe. :smiley: But not these small motors. There’s some other factor we’re missing here.

2 Likes

This is the only photo I have of the install

I really think that it’s just a matter of geometry and the fact that aluminum really isnt that strong.

When designing with metals, you want most of the forces to be either compression or tension. The side walls of the MBS mounting holes have nothing behind them, so that aluminum is under bending loads, which is the worst for Aluminum.

1 Like

Yeah I mean it’s impossible to tell without feeling it, yknow. All we can do is wait for the replacement, and on existing ones, just make sure the wheel is tight. The tolerance on all of the star pieces and screws should be about the same, I’d imagine.

My method is to get the wheel as close to the drive as possible without it scraping. Is this the way you did it? Maybe we had different batches with different qualities of Aluminum?

Nah they were all the same batch.

I tightened it as much as I could, since there is a spacer, it should be a stack of metal.

If the screws scraped, I just filed them down a little bit so they wouldn’t. Didn’t show that in my video because I had done it already before making the video

haha yeah this is what I meant, and yeah my neighbors hate me for my midnight grinding.

I used a flapdisk to shorten my bolts

1 Like