(WTB) UK - Budget complete board £400ish

Looking for a small budget board around or ideally under £400. Hub motor or belt driven, don’t really care so long as the thing moves and won’t blow up

Even at my best attempt to do a budget board, I don’t think 600 USD was viable. Let alone £400

not sure about a small board - but if I were trying to do a budget build with penus.

Atom 90 = 170 (not advisable due to ATS Trucks)
3d printed motor mounts + hardware = 50
ESC = 100
Batteries (10s1p could work?) = 100
Controller = 20-30
battery & ESC enclosure = 20-60 bucks depending on how cheap you go.
Motor and pulley = 100-140
wheel pulley and belt = 25

Looking at around 675USD not counting shipping + Tax.

cut the board down to non-penu and get thanes maybe save 70-100 dollars? (no idea)
ESC could go down another 30 bucks if you get a way-old model like a 4.12v or attempt to find someone with a CheapFOCer2 for sale.

motor could be less depending on if you go for something like a 5XYY series instead of a 6XYY

even with those changes I dont see this cheaper than 550 USD (prox 400 sterling).

Might be better off with piece-meal parts from the used market and having someone build it for you. Or just save up.

1 Like

Honestly with this budget, you’d get better bang for your buck with a prebuilt. Maybe a backfire G3. That was my first board and it was decent. Backfire is better with quality than most of the Chinese pre built boards.

8 Likes

Even the backfire is 800~ USD so that falls outside of budget.

To be clear - the point of my post was simply to outline that 400 pounds is not a lot for a prebuilt and even trying to cheap out on parts doing it diy you’d likely not hit the mark that well. So I’d just save up more.

1 Like

Oh damn is it? Might’ve been on sale for $600 when I bought it. Thought that might’ve been close to budget haha

Yeah definitely.

1 Like

Just get a meepo v3. It’s like 330€
It’s a decent board to start with and to modify with time.
Mods later on would be a bigger battery and maybe a vesc

1 Like

400 pounds is definitely possible !
I bet some people have board for that price !
But I also advice you to look at some chinese brand like wowgo or meepo, they’re great value for their cost

2 Likes

Thanks for everyone’s replies, I’ve been lurking for a bit and I know it’s a pretty miniscule budget but was hoping for looking for a used Chinese prebuilt (should’ve made it more clear) or maybe a cheap single motor build. Problem with the typical meepos and backfires is that shipping is $100 which brings a meepo v3 up to about £400 which seems to be banging on the door of a cheap single motor build, but could very well be mistaken.

2 Likes

Something like this? Is on eBay at the moment.

The challenge you face is that really nobody I know of on here builds with that kind of budget because a single motor build that has a battery that small within a budget is really going to be an awful board for the price you pay… at least compared to the pre-builts. Most people on here deal with higher end stuff or even middle range stuff closer to 1k or more. Which is why either just get a pre-built or save up until you have like 6 or 7 hundos to spend on something a bit more custom

You can always make a thread saying WTB used Own board or something of the sort and see if anyone responds. That way people know what your looking for, because nobody here will build a 400 dollar DIY and much less sell it because it’s probably a ticking time bomb waiting to set a house fire

cheapest kit that doesnt suck is a bkb kit, or just get a prebuilt from china, otherwise you will buy all the parts again and spend 1k plus

1 Like

Yep I think I feel you, don’t think I made it very clear what I was after. Thanks for your advice!

1 Like

Honestly, the meepo v3 isn’t terrible if it fits your budget. My cousin had one and it performed similar to a backfire g3.

1 Like

Yea for sure! We are just trying to help, no disrespect intended even if at times people may come off strong its just because all of us here are first and foremost about safety and don’t want to see anyone get injured from something that could have been prevented. Good luck on your search! Definetely a fun hobby to get into especially now because even though it’s been around for a bit the market is still pretty malleable due to not a ton of people being into it. Great time to get in, because within the next few years it’s gonna blow up and part shortages are gonna be out the gazoo

this is old tech, capable but wouldn’t reccomend today.

The meepo v3 is a good deal (though unfortunately with a LingYi ESC)
Otherwise the wowgo 3. Has the good Hobbywing esc and a super flexy deck (i use the same deck and love it!)

The meepo v3 currently is 318GBP with slow shipping (30-37 days)

1 Like

That is tempting… Just had a look on the wowgo website and they’re offering free shipping. Is this any good? Looks like it has a hobbywing ESC. WowGo 2S Pro Electric Skateboard & Longboard | WOWGO BOARD

Seems decent, uses a hobby wing esc as well so on that front you seen good!