[WTB Australia] Looking to buy a eMTB (Trampa, MBS, Custom)

Hi All

Looking to buy a user eMTB in good condition. Considering any good quality one.

I am based in Melbourne, Australia.

Cheers
Marcelo

2 Likes

Have you decided on a budget? Are you just not interested in building it yourself? Maybe guys like @glyphiks could be commissioned to build one.

2 Likes

Building is also an option I am considering. But if I find someone that wants to sell a good one, why not.

One option is to buy an MBS Comp 97 and electrify it. But its out of stock everywhere.

1 Like

No longer taking on commissioned builds! Happy to do batteries, skinning, and other miscellaneous services, but full commission builds are no longer on the books.

5 Likes

Welcome! there’s quite a few local legends from Melbourne here…. I’m not one of them :blush:

Are you ready to get bent over a barrel and lubricated with some high quality duck fat? Supply chain issues will have your head spinning like crazy and nothing happens fast in the land down under.

There are 4 stores you will need to bookmark for the build.

MBS Australia, Full Send Electric, Radium Performance and Ben Buckler. All Australian and most based out of Melbourne. Then add in some international stores depending on preference, Flipsky and Maker X for ESC and motor options, AliExpress for 12S charger.

TIME - You need to allow yourself 2 – 3 months to collect all the parts. Even if you convince someone to commission the build expect to wait 2 – 3 months. You can’t have good quality shit spun out quickly in our region.

Also, are you going to own more than one build? I’m starting my third soon. This is one of the first questions I asked myself early on. If the answer is yes, then you should learn to build your own battery and invest in battery building equipment and tools. Then you will be in the realms of the true DIY esk8 greats.

You wont find many people in Australia parting with an eMTB complete, it’s rare to come across although they do appear and Facebook market place every now and again.

Here is a comparison of some cost estimates from my build and what I’m looking to build for my kid, once MBS have supply again. He’s 14 years old and 48 KG. These prices assume you have all the tooling needed to complete the build yourself and are in $AUD.

2021-08-02_11-25-00

You should work out what you want and start buying all the parts you need now, like RIGHT NOW! EG, ESC, controller, BMS, 12S charger……… and start researching the build process yourself.

If you need some one on one advice just reach, I’m also based in Melbourne.

6 Likes

I have some early-ish trampa motor mounts, circa 2018

Hi Michael

This is amazing advice. Thank you so much.

I was investigating going on your 2nd build option with the mbs pro 97 as base.

Some questions that I have that probably will add to the forum:

1. If going all the way to 4k, wouldn’t make sense to get a trampa?
  2. Do you think the Haero Bro 96 would be much better than the MBS Pro 97 Deck?
  3. I have been looking to alternatives to the Pelican case as I don’t think it looks great (although a practical option). Which is your suggestion as DIY enclosure?
  4. I was considering 2 Turnity 6s 20000 (as suggested by trampa). Do you think to build a battery pack is better? Where do you buy your cells and gear to assemble the pack?
  5. Can you share links of the BMS and Chargers you recommend?
  6. I saw the MakerX ESC but was not impressed with the amount of info they have on the site. Spitend Ubox is not a better option in your opinion?

I looked the radium motor mounts, but could not find anything for the MBS trucks. I was considering buying the moon at drives, you don’t prefer direct drive?

Sorry for the abuse!

Cheers
Marcelo

1 Like

I need to start charging by the hour :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

The second option is a perfect board to use and abuse and comes in at a good price point. I can source just about everything locally so if something shits itself I’ll have good support.

1. No chance, import tax makes this option exceptionally expensive for us Aussies. I’m also not a fan of the trampa style deck.

2. I’ve only ever ridden the Haero Bro so my opinion is bias. I love mine to death and won’t be parting with it… ever… MBS Pro 97 was my first option though, they were out of stock at the time of my build and I got lucky with a Haero.

3. 3D printing can work, I went down this path on my build here. Stick with a pelican case as your first option, you can swap it out later. They only cost $100.

4. This idea is nice and simple. You can maintain the setup yourself and quickly swap out to lighter packs to get more air time. Hobby King will have everything you need and they also have an AUD warehouse option. I use Ovonic LiPo 3S packs on my RC cars although they don’t have the larger packs as Hobby King does.

5. Ben Buckler and Marsen have these items for you if you go down the path of using cells. Both are Aussie retail stores.

6. Sprinted may be overkill, it’s commonly used for high voltage setups, Ben Buckler have some better ESC options with local support. My Maker X ESC’s have treated me well so I’ll be sticking with them for now.

Belts do the job perfectly, cost-effective, lightweight and are easy to maintain.

For the motor mounts you should send Radium an email via the website when you’re ready, he can spit them out easily. That’s what I usually do.

Thanks for coming to my ted talk… you can leave now.

3 Likes