Worst accident since I started esk8ing

Last Saturday I was coming back home from the grocery store and fell down pretty bad.

It seems a contractor was setting a gas pipe installation that same morning on my building and left the work undone, unmarked, without any warning tape or orange cone around.

I rode back home, riding the same pavement I ride with confidence everyday, never thinking there would be a new curb right outside of my building’s lobby on the high transit pedestrian zone.

This was the curb (I got these pictures after the accident)

Here is my fall:

After the fall I couldn’t breath or stand up, I was laid on the ground for 5 minutes, trying to breath again and trying to find out what bones where broken, moving my wrists and my arms waiting for the pain to come.

Fortunately, I wasn’t at high speed, but the impact against the pavement was pretty hard, doctor said I have 5 broken ribs on my left back, fortunately not displaced, so surgery was not necesary.

Here the lady worried, eating her fingernails, waiting for the xrays results:

The pain is pretty bad when I breath, when I lay down, when I on a car, when I’m cough and the sneezes are the worst.

Taking Tramadol for the pain which makes me sleep like a rock but also makes me dizzy.

I’m glad I was wearing a full face helmet even for such short trip, as you can see the helmet hits the ground pretty bad. This is second time in my life a helmet saves my life, so I’m in love with them, the first one was a pretty bad motorcycle crash 10 years ago.

Guys use a full face helmet ALWAYS even for short trips

37 Likes

Oh man that sucks, but glad you are still with us to tell the tale.

Good luck with the recovery my dude, broken ribs suuuuuuck

14 Likes

Not the reminder we wanted, but maybe the one we needed!

Heal up! if you need anything we can help with let us know.

7 Likes

Shit that’s a solid slam dude. Glad u are ok. Broken ribs sucks, been there. Rest up.
Hope ya not too sore and are well looked after.
Oh and full face helmets rule, saved my ass a couple of times.

3 Likes

yeah those falls suck. I’ve had a couple of those. recent one got my clavicle (collarbone).

first time that happened to me it was a little pipe sticking out of the ground, ended up bending a truck and thankfully I was riding with someone who waited until I came to.

there should be some sort of law where these hazards need to be clearly marked.

hope you heal up fast.

1 Like

It is nice to see that the people nearby stopped to check on you after the fall. We need more people like that around and less people who just pretend they didn’t see it.

Sounds like it is time to get the building’s owner to pay for your medical bills and for any missed work as a result of the injuries. :thinking:

Reminds me of my fall from a similar hole in a “finished” road pretty sure the hole/gap is still there but I avoid that area completely now at full speed with the biggest difference being that I was able to slide across the pavement to help lessen internal injuries. I’ll take more burns over falls with an abrupt stop every time if it was possible to choose.

ANY pain when breathing is the absolute worst, but after it is healed you will have a new appreciation for breathing :rofl: I wish I had some tips on how to get through it but my pain is from my actual lungs, and there is no way to make it less worse. Best “tip” would be to get some medication to knock you out and just sleep through the pain.

I hope the pain gets better soon and the rest of the injury heals shortly after

4 Likes

Holy shit Alan. That’s brutal. You don’t do these things by halves do you?
Rest up and heal well.

3 Likes

Speedy recovery! Im glad you were wearing a full face helmet :raised_hands:

2 Likes

solid hit man! heal up fast

coincidently i skin crayon’d myself on a gravel path on my testing route during the weekend, 0/10 would not recommend.

2 Likes

Wow dude that’s crazy. Glad your head is in one piece. Ribs healing suck from what I’ve heard but hey, could be worse.

2 Likes

Watching that video made me cringe a little since I know that exact feeling… like you’re about to die since every little breath you try to take feels like you’re being stabbed.
Bet it’ll hurt ya to fart for a while too heh.
At least you got it on video tho! Bet your ribs will heal in no time.
Dont forget to eat your spinach too

4 Likes

Wow man that was a gnarly full stop. No one wants to be that guy but I fully believe the building owner or maintenance folks who didn’t mark that properly are at fault to a degree.

Good feels and fast heals :green_heart:

5 Likes

Stopping like that when it’s unexpected is brutal.

Even at low speeds.

It’s like someone grabbed you and threw you down.

Sorry to hear man.

Hope the pain subsides soon

3 Likes

Man, it’s not even that fast, but you went down so hard. I’m sorry dude, that looked brutal.

Hope you have a restful holiday break and heal up quickly.

5 Likes

Ouch. Wish you a merry Christmas, and fast recovery.

1 Like

speedy recovery my man

1 Like

Hope you heal up fast bruh,as to the fall looks like you got all the evidence you need,as to the legality of an esk8 that do high top speeds being on a pavement in the first place :person_shrugging:
I think its human nature to be more relaxed as you get close to home! Always be on guard!
Get back on the horse as soon as you can though :facepunch:

1 Like

Wow, I’m glad you are ok. Praying for a fast recovery for ya bruh.

Damn @eBoosted I’m glad you’re alright! It sounds like you’re doing all of the right things - rest, medication, follow up… I hope you recover fully, painlessly, and quickly!

Thanks for the write-up here - it’s a good reminder for everyone to stay vigilent, and to always wear safety gear - because it’s not a matter of whether we’ll crash, it’s just a matter of how soon.

1 Like

Ohhhh :astonished: that slam looked so gnarly… slow speed but completely unexpected, full slam to stop in a split second… indeed so lucky (Good practice!!!) you were wearing the full face helmet. One thing on the positive note; seems that broken ribs are better(pain and healing-wise) than bruised ones! Get well soon and seasons greetings! I bet your new year can only get better :+1:t2: :wink:

2 Likes