With Morning Comes Mistfall

Loved them! They are my 3rd favorite tire after Hoyt 7" and Kenda K909’s. Grip was great, very durable, and well balanced up to 35mph (Mistfall’s top speed at the time).

Yeah I agree with this. The sidewall is already pretty stiff when mounted on an MBS rim, so I dont imagine you are going to gain much from stretching. And they definitely have a “max stretch” that’s less than some of the wider rims on the market today.

2 Likes

Where do you guys get these? I think I wanna try a set.

@BenjaminF tell me more about them vs Kendas? Pretty please :kissing:

You can get them off aliexpress for ~16 each.

1 Like

I got mine from LaCroix, back during the Kenda K909 shortage.

The CSTs are definitely a harder/stiffer tire than the Kendas, which give them excellent longevity at the cost of some ride comfort. They had plenty of grip for me on asphalt, never had any scary losses of traction. Very durable, not prone to flats at all. My set spun true, no wobbles, up to 35mph.

1 Like

Thanks dude.
This is what I am hoping for.
I got a set from Ali.
Not bad. 13 bucks each with free shipping.

2 Likes

Alright fucks. I dont post on the forum much anymore because the shitcunt/goodcunt ratio has been out of whack for a while. But its time to put tools to Mistfall for the first time in a while, so let’s call this a

:sparkles::sparkles::sparkling_heart:SUPER :sparkles: DUPER :sparkles: SPRING :sparkles: REFRESH :sparkling_heart::sparkles::sparkles:

Here’s how she’s currently sitting:

My to-do list:

1. Build and install a 12s13p Molicel P42A battery to replace the current 12s10p Tesla pack. It’s been going strong, but it leaves a lot to be desired in the power department since I’m pretty much capped at 80A total (40A per motor).
  2. Install the fancy new @Boardnamics 5.56:1 straight cut gears that I bullied Kevin into making last year and never touched since. Pretty sure my 5.2:1 helical motor pinion just broke through the green Loctite again, so I guess this is Mistfall’s way of telling me that now is the time.
  3. Install the fancy new SKP/Reacher 205kv motors that I bought from @Skyart’s group buy and never touched since. These will replace the 170kv FS BH motors I’ve got now, and will hopefully take the amps much better.
  4. New (larger) heat sink for my topbox. The infinitysink is nice, but I want something with more surface area and which doesnt add thickness inside the top box, as it’s already pretty cramped in there. Swapping to a simple metal sheet (or maybe an extruded heat sink, we’ll see) will buy me back nearly 5mm of height in the box.
  5. Robogotchi Pro? :eyes:
  6. My Hypertrucks are getting pretty sloppy. Like, your mom on a Friday afternoon sloppy. I’m thinking it’s time to replace the kingpin bushings, and @bboybowzer was sweet enough to hook me up with new ones :sparkling_heart: I’m also going to copy @Shadowfax and flip my baseplates around to drop the board a few more mm, cus why not. And I’m considering some slight wedging/dewedging. Dont judge me.
  7. Install lights from @ShutterShock. Possibly also design fenders for my Hypertrucks if Ryan sends me the hanger profile :kissing_heart:
  8. Design and print an extension for my front handle that allows the board to stand up better. It currently does stand, but only just barely and only on very flat surfaces. Kinda like your dad after he’s had a few too many whiteclaws on a Friday afternoon.
  9. Hmm what else… Rotate my tires? Clean off the grime? Why am I even writing this down?

I’ll probably think of more stuff and try to add it here so I dont forget. My goal is to get all this done before June so I can still reasonably call it a “spring” refresh, but realistically my actual goal is before CarvePDX. I’m a lazy hoe. I’m also going to do my best to post pics of what I’m working on to keep this thread alive and so you fucks can hold me accountable. We’ll see about that.

16 Likes

Before :poop:

After :sparkles:

Tasks completed today:

1. Made a to-do list (and told you fucks about it for some reason)
  2. Rotated tires (not that they really needed it)
  3. Used @jack.luis’s toothbrush to clean off most of the road grime from the wheels/trucks/drives, as well as the really caked-on shit from the grip tape.

I know, I know, shitty progress. Fuck off.

11 Likes

Cleaning up is a good first step.

Have you put your changes into the calculator?
What do you expect to happen with top speed and torque?

2 Likes

I use water/vinegar and a little iso in a spray bottle. Then a hard but fine brush the size of my hand. Then rinse with said spray bottle sans vinegar and iso withe the board tipped on edge.
Thats on frit, but assume well stuck grip wold hold fine.

Plan sounds nice dude, a good refresh gives me more ambition to ride

2 Likes

Not really dirty. That’s what the procrastinator in all of us says :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Also let’s not rotate tires…

3 Likes

Windex and a toothbrush is the going method around the Zoobomb shop. Cant say I’m a fan, especially for Vicious grip, though I imagine it probably is good for the relatively fine grip we use on Hoyt/Metroboards. Your method sounds better for Vicious and frit for sure :+1:

2 Likes

Man, this board looks like such a rock solid build. It seems like you’ve been running this config for quite some time now.

3 Likes

Yes indeed. She’s been good to me. The only part that’s given me trouble is the helical gears, and those are going away. Anyone want to buy a set of BN-AT 5.2:1 helical gears? :joy:

3 Likes

Top speed is going to go up a bit, and therefore on paper torque is going to go down. However with the new more powerful battery, I’m hoping I can make up for that torque by cranking the amps. I’m assuming the reachers will handle them better because higher KV motors have lower winding resistance, and because they are open cans.

5 Likes

Im sure this will get most or all of it back. I recently had to do this after swapping to rubber for a bit, and just 10-15a more motor nearly got me it all back. Was 2.2 on 100mm now 2.8 on 145.
I was surprised.

2 Likes

You absolutely will - 80 battery amps is nothing lol

Also, don’t forget to install the new headlights :wink:

4 Likes

How could i forget? It’s right here in my list

4 Likes

I’m going to act like I definitely remembered I need to send you that file

4 Likes

Oh, another random update for yall:

@jack.luis and I got really annoyed that these @Boardnamics wheels dont have captive nuts, so I designed these little laser-cut plates to solve that.

I originally intended to stick them in with JB weld or something, but when I installed them for the first time I was in a rush and forgot. So these are currently just being held in by the torque of the nut, which rotates them against the wall of the pocket in the wheel.

After about 300 miles with them held in like this, I haven’t lost a single one! And not having to carry a socket and wrench to take apart my wheels on the side of the road is a huge quality of life improvement. I’d call this a success.

14 Likes