With Morning Comes Mistfall

What it would have been like…

1 Like

You probably have it all sorted out already though. You have skills.

I’m really confused. Are you trying to tell me something?

Only that it’s past my bed time :joy::joy::joy:

8 Likes

Ooooffff. Godspeed little duck.

2 Likes

Double sided tape to hold this stuff down, rather than the spray adhesive I used last time:

Laid the rubber:

Cut out the binding holes and box mounting holes this time before laying the grip tape (it was a huge pain in the ass finding the holes under the foam and grip tape last time, hopefully this will make it easier):

Prototyping to confirm connector fitment (never trust GrabCAD models):

This is close, more prototyping in progress:

While I had it all apart, I countersunk the mounting holes and then did one of my trademark really-shitty-paint-jobs on this handle, in the same awesome metallic blue as the rest of the metal parts on this build:

13 Likes

And now I can finally reveal the REAL reason for my whole teardown and rebuild. Did you people really believe that I was going through all this work just to clean up some shitty wiring? What a bunch of suckers! As if!

No, the real reason I am re-doing all this wiring and whatnot is so that I can swap in this Apex Air drivetrain that was very generously loaned to me by @bboybowzer!

He is the fuckin homie and literally hand delivered his whole drivetrain to me when he was rolling through PDX, so that I could try them out. And then, because I’m a huge piece of shit, I didnt get around to actually using the drivetrain for weeks. I’m really sorry Bao. I know how ungrateful this makes me look, and I swear I am extremely grateful. Unfortunately struggling to try to pay my bills very often keeps me from getting to do things for myself, like trying out this kickass drivetrain.

Anyway, Bao is rolling back through Portland for CarvePDX (get hype) and that’s when he is picking up his drivetrain. So that’s my deadline to get at least one good ride on these trucks! That’s why I am working my tailfeathers off, so I can respect Bao’s generosity (as well as get to ride these awesome trucks).

We’ll make it happen, one way or the other :metal:

12 Likes

I should have told you to loan me those hypertrucks :joy: that would have sped this process up.

6 Likes

Yeah, it definitely would have :sweat_smile:

1 Like

So how’s this going @BenjaminF ?

2 Likes

Awwweeeee shiiiiiiit. I forgot to update yall on the state of this build.

Long story short, I got it finished in time, tried out Bao’s trucks, returned those to him, and got it swapped back over to my Hypertrucks for CarvePDX.

Long story and pictures to come later :metal: still recovering emotionally from Carve.

14 Likes

Very few hypertrucks on bro decks around. Top of both markets, it’s a build to revere!

4 Likes

Hey Ben!

I plan on stealing a few ideas from your build, and wanted to ask some questions.

1. How is the rubber holding up for you? I think I want to do the same to reduce foot fatigue, and also because I’ll be routing my motor wires under my back foot, just like you!
  2. I know you don’t do much jumping since this is a street build, but do you have any recommendations for attaching the top box to the deck in a way that would be both waterproof, and not put much stress on the plastic where the bolts go through?

Also fuck knows what parcel monkey is doing with the duck handles package that I’m expecting to show up any day now :thinking:

3 Likes

Its working great, I highly recommend it! The only concern is how you adhere it to the deck. I wanted it to be semi-permanent so I just used some medium-strength double sided tape, and it’s starting to peel up at the corners. You might want to consider a stronger adhesive, as long as you dont mind it never coming off your deck lol.

I’m interested to hear what you end up using, and how it works for you.

I’m really happy with the way my box is attached. I used a couple layers of the stiff rubber to make sure theres a wide mating surface between the box and the deck, and then I used 3 bolts with like 40mm diameter washers that have rubber bonded to them. They spread the load and seal the bolt hole all in one.

Shit, that still hasnt shown up?!

4 Likes

I’ve used rubber cement to good effect. But surfaces need to be super clean for it to adhere properly (and the fumes are overwhelming, fyi)

4 Likes

@BenjaminF how did you end up liking those 190mm CSTs? I haven’t heard much about them, but it seems like they would be a nice in between for 7 and 8 inch tires. Were they reasonably well balanced?

2 Likes

I have a set and they’re pretty awesome. Super well balanced, much more durable than my 8 inch Razer(?) tires from eBay.

One thing I noticed is that they don’t stretch very noticeably. My 8 inch wheels seem a lot wider when inflated. This is probably a product of the rubber durability.

(The last pics are CST vs Razer 8 inch) I recently went back to the Razer tires to try and squeeze all the clearance I can.

Thanks @haven - definitely good to know that they might not be the best stretching tires. I would be using them on the very wide newbee pentagrams - so stretch is pretty important. Tough to tell from the images, but it looks like they kind of bulge on the sidewall. Is that right?

1 Like

Yeah exactly, that might also be where all the stretch is going. I don’t have them mounted currently but can send better pics next time I switch them out.

1 Like