WISDOM BUILD - First DIY Build. Looking for some advice and any wisdom

truu

Yeah, both of those. They are very good at delivering low prices and SEO — neither of which happens to be an ingredient in a quality electric vehicle. They’re good at getting your credit card number, but that’s about it.

Interpret that as you wish.

1 Like

Thank you for your tips and advice. My original list of parts is not the order of purchase or importance, just in a random order, sorry for causing confusion.

I am between 70Kg and 80Kg.

The reason for the DIY Build is I am interested in the process and enjoy building things, so the process of building is just as important as the end product maybe even more so. I am also a DT teacher and if i can prove the concept, I might use it as a project for students to develop skills to design and build their own as a group. This board will be my own, but the potential school project would be purely a skill development project so that build won’t require the best parts or be the fastest etc etc.

My build I would like something useable with an all round performance.

Range: Minimum 10 miles
Speed: (Dont need anything too high) 25mph max
Terrain: Roads , Paths (Pavements), Concrete, tarmac etc. These can be quite rough in the UK.

Budget: Keep it as low as possible. Doesn’t have to be fancy as I mentioned the process is more important to me. Currently trying to work within £500, but this can increase or upgrade parts later down the line.

I don’t see online, what does this acronym mean?

Design and Technology. If your from another country, its things like, wood work, metal work, using machines , electronics etc etc.

3 Likes

Good conversation here, might help you [WTB] [CANADA] Parts for first build

1 Like

Thank you for the link, I will check it out. What do people think about Flipsky? Are they good, bad or ok etc? https://flipsky.net

They have bad QC. General consensus about Flipsky products is:

• ESCs: stay away, unless you run them with very conservative settings
  • Remotes: VX1 is okay, VX2 can be unreliable / stuck throttle
  • Motors: New ones are okay, old ones a mixed bag
  • Antisparks: Only the latest one, smart enhanced 200A (not actually capable of 200A though) is good. In fact, it’s the best you can buy currently. The others are unreliable.
  • Spotwelder: good
  • Other stuff, like trucks: okay, I guess?
5 Likes

good, great even I would say from my riding so far

bang “gets the job done for a bit” I think

5 Likes

Thank you for your insights. You never know with these places, They have a slick website and lots of reviews, but this could easily be a cover for their bad products,

2 Likes

there welder is good beenusing for a bit and really nice overall and def prefer the metal case over a kweld or malectrics

UPDATE

Deck has arrived! Time to start taking measurements and see the route I take.

1 Like

Ordered my trucks today and arranging a battery and motors at the moment. I will post images at stages if anyone is interested.

My budget is ballooning so the hunt for deals intensifies. Need to find a well priced ESC /VESC any recommendations?

I will be running either a 10S3P or 12S2P battery pack with dual 6355 motors.

PS in the UK, so Import duty/taxes can be an issue.

1 Like

Too bad you don’t live in the states I have some extra TB6355’s and kegal pulleys 36 & 40 I would part with.

1 Like

Thanks mate, I would of really liked them, but living in the Uk is a killer for parts it seems.

1 Like

I know, y’all got great stuff available over there but conversion of money and vat kills me

1 Like

Can we not live in an Import and VAT free world!

1 Like

UPDATE: Just received my trucks, couldn’t wait and had to put them on. Its starting to look like a skateboard now.

1 Like

Any recommendations for the cheapest but reliable ESC for a dual motor (6355) set up which can handle a 12S battery pack?

So far seen: Spintend Ubox, Focbox, Flipsky Dual FSESC6.6 + other Flipsky’s

makerx go-foc retro

1 Like